Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i have a white dot on the colored part of my, it hurts and

i have a white dot on the colored part of my, it hurts and my eye is red what could it be?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

do you wear contact lenses?

Dr. Rick :

How long has this been going on for ?

Dr. Rick :

What is the name of the antibiotic and how long and how many times a day are you using it?

Dr. Rick :

Also, who prescribed it for you or is it left overs?

Customer:

yes i wear contacts, it has been going on for 2 days now, ciprofloxacin opthalmic solution just left overs

Customer:

i have no insurance thats why im using that

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I bet you have a corneal ulcer. These can be very dangerous. How often are you using the cipro and what has it expired?

Dr. Rick :

Cipro, while no longer my first choice for contact lens associated corneal ulcers, is a good drug.......

Customer:

it expires on 2013

Dr. Rick :

ok. How often do you put it in your eye and how long ago did you start using it?

Customer:

2 drops twice a day

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That is not enough.

Dr. Rick :

First of all.....I should give you the party line:

Dr. Rick :

I have had a patient actually have to have their eyeball removed and thrown in a bucket from a contact lens associated corneal ulcer so these things are nothing to mess around with. Since your condition has been going on for 2 days I do not think you have the same horrible bacteria that this patient had....but you have to realize what you are putting at risk by treating this yourself. ......

Dr. Rick :

That being said, if you do not want to see an ophthalmologist right away, you should put one drop of the cipro in your eye every two hours...around the clock for the next 24 hours if possible.

Customer:

i know it's horrible i was at work when i started to have eye pain..

Dr. Rick :

Make sure to close you eye gently and keep in closed for about 5 minutes to let the drop soak in.

Customer:

will it go away?

Dr. Rick :

Also, right now I would like you to put one drop in your eye every 15 minutes for 4 times to get a "loading" dose of antibiotic going.....

Customer:

i thought it was just makeup stuck in my eyeball

Dr. Rick :

Hopefully it will go away. You may end up with a small scar. Is the white spot smack dab in the middle of your cornea?

Dr. Rick :

Nope. Not makeup but rather a fairly serious eye infection.

Customer:

no it's on the colored part of my eye

Customer:

not the cornea

Dr. Rick :

As you can see, this is a very serious thing. But, if with what I am telling you to do it is a little it better in the morning and gets a bit better then you should be ok

Dr. Rick :

The cornea overlies the color part of your eye (the iris)

Dr. Rick :

http://www.ivy-rose.co.uk/HumanBody/Eye/Anatomy_Eye.php

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure if you are still there.......

Customer:

yes i am

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer:

should i send you a picture?

Dr. Rick :

sure. That would be great. You can use the paperclip on your screen

Dr. Rick :

I should have thought of that earlier :(

Dr. Rick :

I'm used to dealing with people in their 70....uploading a picture is pretty much impossible for them...

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr. Rick :

That didn't work. Are you on a mac?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Ya.....we have problems with mac's try tinypic:

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Dr. Rick :

Full Size Image

Dr. Rick :

is the white spot like the one at about 6:00 on this patients eye?

Dr. Rick :

not the white glob to the left....that is just mucus

Customer:

oh no that is huge

Customer:

its a bit smaller 12:00 not on the black part of eye

Dr. Rick :

any luck with tinypic?

Customer:

almost got it

Dr. Rick :

The chat system crashed. I will switch to Q&A and we can continue there.

Any luck on the picture with tinypic?

The chat system crashed.....but don't worry. We can continue here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i cant get it to copy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what else can i do?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
file://localhost/Users/administrator/Desktop/Photo%20on%202012-08-01%20at%2023.11%20%232.jpg
Ok. No big deal.

Let's make sure that we both understand where this white spot is on your eye.

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/CSP/CSP650/human-eye-macro_~k6504900.jpg

Open the above picture in another page.

When looking at your eye in the mirror is the white spot on the colored part of the eye as shown in the picture (you can see the black pupil in the center)?

Or is this spot no where near the colored part of the eye (this colored part is covered with the clear cornea...the color is from your iris that gets expands or contracts to let different amounts of light in....)

Sorry about the crashing of the chat system...I'll standby.

DRAT! I still can not open the link you sent. :(
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is on the colored part but not on the center just on top of it 12:00
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its small and i noticed it today
Ok. It is good that it is small. I am 110% sure, even without a picture, that you have a corneal ulcer.

Do what we discussed and it should get better.

Thanks for your patience with the system glitches and trying to upload a picture. Hopefully some day soon we will be able to link with stuff from a MAC....

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks Dr. Rick i might end up going to an opthalmologist just in case, i don't want to be blind and hopefully it goes away so i can get back to work with no pain.
I forgot to mention....it is a good thing that the white spot is up at 12:00 far away from the center of your cornea. When this is all healed up you should have no loss of vision at all.

I just got your post. I remember well the days when money was tight so, if things get better every day then you should be OK....but, of course, use your best judgment.

It has been a pleasure chatting with you tonight....even with all the technical problems.

Now it is time for this old dog to get some sleep. I've got 5 surgeries scheduled for tomorrow :-)

Take care and let me know if I can do anything else to help you. Now get going on the "loading dose" drops ;)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
a lot of work for you tomorrow! don't work so much
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Take care of yourself too!!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
,a lot of work for you tomorrow! don't work so much
Gotta keep my wife in Shiny Baubles....so off to work I go ;-)

Set your alarm...every two hours.

G'night.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What a great husband

Register Here
!!! I went to an ophthalmologist he gave me antiobiotic and 1 drop every hour (Vigamox) good thing i went he said it looked bad.

Register Here
Vigamox is a first line antibiotic and the one I would have started you on, although Cipro isn't too bad either. I'm glad you are getting the care you need and, as we discussed before, given the location of the corneal ulcer you should be OK once everything is said and done.

I'm happy to report that even though you kept me up very late the other night everyone's surgery went well. :-) lol!

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future. Have a good day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for every thing!! Im going back to see the Dr. he wants to check if the medication is working, and I believe it is I have no pain. Thats great that your surgeries went well! You must be a great Doctor ;)
The fact that your eye is already feeling better is an excellent sign.

Take care and remember this so that, if it ever happens again, you will know what to do :-)

Have a good day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again for your time and help. How long you think it would take to heal up?
You should be pain free from this point on and I would keep you on the antibiotic drops for a week or so but decrease the frequency in a little bit.

You probably will be able to put in a new pair of contacts in two weeks.

Just as an aside, I like the daily disposable, high oxygen permeable lenses :-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to stop wearing contacts, and glasses all together, what surgery do you recommend?
Lasik is a wonderful procedure, although as a retina specialist I do not to that type of surgery.

I'd tell your parents what a wonderful birthday gift eye surgery would make ;-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Even if I have astigmatism?
Yes. Even if you have astigmatism. It can't be that much if soft contacts take care of it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yay! Lol....How much is it? The procedure
It varies from place to place. Just google lasik surgery in "myhometown" and you will get a bunch of places to call about pricing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your right.. I bet that in ny, ny is very expensive.. :D
yup
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Rick i have another question my mom has been seeing black dots moving around, i don't know how to explain it better...
No problem.....I can answer from that information:

It sounds like your Mom is likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

There is a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that your Mom may see.

It is recommended that your mom see her ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If your Mom notices a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of her vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. Your Mom would need to contact her ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Does this make sense to you?

How's your eye doing, Jasmine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it makes sense thanks Dr.Rick

Register Here
your awesome.. my eye is so much better.. thank god but once i get this corrected im goin to do lasik surgery if im a candidate
Sounds like an excellent plan.

Goodnight.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Goodnight
:-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Register Here
Have a good day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You too Dr!!! ;)
:-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How's work today?
Day off.....tearing up carpet for placement of future new wood flooring.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh your a handy man... Nice!!!
Gotta do the handyman work myself so I can afford all those Shiny Baubles.....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
lol thats what a good husband does!!!
That's me :-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I ask you a personal question?
Sure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How old are you?
52. 3 daughters; two sons.

Been in practice for about 20 yrs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Awesome your very young!!
Yup.