Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i usually have migraines with aura about 3 or 4 times a year

i usually have migraines with aura about 3 or 4 times a year maybe even less. but this week i have had 2 in 2 days with in the space of about 36 hours. But since i have had the migraine and aura this time my eye sight does not seem to be fully back to normal. the aura as gone but its like a very very transparent shadow in my vision when i am watching tv or clear surfaces such as white or cream walls, the sky ect....i also had an eye test yesterday and he has prescribed me glasses but did not mention anything else about underlaying problems such as a brain disorder or anything. should i be worried?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

Were you examined by an ophthalmologist or optometrist?

Customer:

no it was just a general eye exam at an opticians

Dr. Rick :

I have been suffering with migraines for over thirty years so I know what you are going through :-)

Dr. Rick :

OK. Well, an optician, of course, would not be able to notice any type of pathology.

Dr. Rick :

Is this veil affecting both eyes (close one at a time)?

Customer:

yes seems to be in both eyes....it is not an apparent vail...you have to stare at the tv for a good 30 seconds before u notice it

Customer:

or a clean surface

Dr. Rick :

It is extremely unlikely that this change in your vision is due to a brain tumor or something terrible.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Got it.

Dr. Rick :

I would bet that your issue is due to an anterior segement/tear film problem. Issues like this become very noticeable when you are concentrating hard or, as you have pointed out, stare at the TV or an object for a period of time.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do is use artificial tears to lubricate and sooth your eyes when you notice this happening. You can also get your tear glands to work better by scrubbing them with baby shampoo -- I know. This sounds crazy, but it really works :)

Dr. Rick :

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes makes excellent sense...that seems more like a non deadly more believable thing...i do suffer with anxiety and hypochondria as well...and i am working myself up over the whole eye problem thinking i am have a bleed or a tumour or something. my Dr does not seem to want to help this situation and just concentrates on my anxiety but part of my anxiety is this vision problem with my aura and migraine...i also seem to have a fuzzy like head aswelll even though the migraines were more than 24 hours ago...

Dr. Rick :

Nope. No bleed. No Tumor. Do not go out and max out your credit cards lol!

Dr. Rick :

It is not uncommon to have a fuzzy head even a day after a migraine. I've had a fuzzy head for a few days after one myself.

Customer:

lol...my girlfriend does that for me so no chance in that. your advice as helped me alot! i have been trying to get something that makes sense out of my own GP but nothing. wish i had found yourself earlier.

Dr. Rick :

I'm here if you ever need me again. And if you think a girlfriend can max out your credit cards wait until you get a Wife ;-)

Dr. Rick :

Take care and have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer:

thank you very much!

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest