Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Last night I went to bed with a an uncomfortable head, specifically

Customer Question

Last night I went to bed with a an uncomfortable head, specifically pressure behind my right eye. I woke up at 4 am for a week and found that my right eye was very bloodshot. For the whole day I feel like my brain is in a fog with pressure on the right side of my face head. Suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good Morning.

Dr. Rick :

I know that your eye looks really, really bad but the good news is that everything will be ok.

Dr. Rick :

You have experienced a subconjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Customer:

I know that your eye looks really, really bad but the good news is that everything will be ok. Really, that is not the kind of professional assessment I was looking for - your opinion is based on what?

Dr. Rick :

On 20 years of practice as an ophthalmologist and 18 years of school.....as well as your post.

Dr. Rick :

If you are not happy with my advice I will be pleased to opt out so that one of the other doctors can help you. Please let me know if that is what you would like me to to do rather then just posting poor feedback. I will standby for your reply.

Customer:

The eye bruising is a result of something - it just does not occur by itself - would the increasing pressure and now blurred vision be the primary source of my concern. Should I been seeking immediate medical attention.

Dr. Rick :

The best course of action would be to have a complete examination by an ophthalmologist. As you can well imagine using "chat" as my only "diagnostic tool" it is difficult to rule out every single issue that may be contributing to your problem. From you post I do not believe that your feeling of pressure behind your eye or sensation of "brain fog" is related to the marked redness of your eye. But, I do agree with you -- the best course of action would be to get a referral from your GP to see an ophthalmologist, not an optician and not an optometrist.

Dr. Rick :

In the long run, from what you have posted, I do believe that you will be OK>

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to yo?

Dr. Rick :

you?

Customer:

Dear Doc, thanks - I think I will get a gp to check me out - I was just worried that I might not make to the surgery - guess I will phone a friend to help me out. Thanks for your time.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry but I just noticed that you added during our chat the point that your vision is now blurry.

A subconjunctival hemorrhage does not cause blurry vision.

I recommend that you NOT waste time having a GP evaluate you but rather get in to see an ophthalmologist ASAP for complete exam.