Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

doc, my wife was just have cataract IOL operation, the problem

doc, my wife was just have cataract IOL operation, the problem is that few times checking, found out that multi focal which should be -1.00 was put in -1.5, so her eye which was mistakenly used the -1.5 and her vision is still blurr, and the doctor suggested to redo the IOL and change the right one. My question is Redo the surgery and take out the wrong and put in the right, is it very risky, or it is common to do such redo? I want your opinion, which one you choose. Thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If your main concern is whether a re-surgery is alright to be done in this situation then yes it can be done. In safe hands it should not be a problem at all to remove the wrong IOL and replace it with the correct IOL. It would depend on the surgical expertise of the surgeon but more often than not, in these rare conditions, the surgical outcome is good. I would personally feel it is better than getting lasik done . Though doing lasik is certainly an option, the dry eyes which can occur following lasik can be more troubleful. If it were to be my kith and kin I would have suggested a re-surgery in this situation.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.
Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have you ever done the redo and successful ?

If in the alternative choice, i.e. use the wrong unit, and just use eye glass

to see, without lasik, will this better than lasik or redo, for safety .

If this case happen to yourself, what will you take?

Please for my other question, which is better to take Timoptol or Xalatan to treat Glaucoma?

Hello Andy,

For treating glaucoma, Xalatan is a better drop.

For safety , yes continuing with the wrong IOL and wearing glasses for near work would be fine. it would have the same effect as in a monofocal IOL and you may not get the advantage of a multifocal IOL. If such a situation is acceptable to you ( many individuals do not like the idea of wearing glasses again after surgery) then nothing like that considering the safety of it. As for my experience in redoing a surgery with explantation, then I have done only two explantations but thankfully both were fine post -op.If I were to experience the same, I would just stick on to the conservative mode of wearing glasses over and above.But Lasik is something I would definitely avoid.

Thank you and best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.

I have still one question:From the side effect of Xalatan, it is said that using

Xalatan will make eye colour becomes brown in certain period. and what is the seide effect of Timoptol?

Thank you Doc.

You are right about the side effect of Xalatan being change in color of the iris ( heterochromia) but this is not seen compulsorily in every individual on this medicine. There are other side effects too such as elongation of the eyelashes ( megalotrichiasis) but again not seen in everyone.

Timolol maleate eye drops can have less severe side effects such as stinging,allergy to the medicine,dryness. Being a non-specific beta blocker, it is to be used with caution in those with bronchial asthma, cardiac problems as it can sometimes have systemic side effects in such individuals.

Thank you and best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your informations.

One more question, I heard from friend, that the best quality(Multi focal) of the IOL is not always the best for the patients, I heard that some people

who chose the Multi focal Lens, get more trouble after inserting, and Mono focal

users are more succesful. is it true?

Thank you for your fast response.

Each lens has it s own advantages and limitations. There are individuals who have enjoyed the benefits of multifocals too. as can be with any lens there are certain problems faced with multifocals too such as glare and so on. But these are very trivial in nature and can be overcome. The biggest disadvantage of monofocals is that it corrects vision for distance alone. Hence near vision glasses are mandatory.

Thank you and best wishes.