Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am having problems with my ears. When I lie down they tend

I am having problems with my ears. When I lie down they tend to clog but there doesn't seem to be any ear wax in my ears. There is no pain, just a feeling of pressure in my ear canal. I was wondering what could be causing this and what I could do to stop it from happening.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

This may be due to pressure in your inner ear rather then your ear canal.

Dr. Rick :

Since your GP doesn't seem to be able to figure it out I suggest you ask for a referral to an ENT specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr. Rick,

I just wanted to add some symptoms and hope that maybe you can help me with something until I manage to get to an ENT doctor, or maybe so I can have something definitive to tell them.

When I try to clear my ear canal I can hear a series of popping sounds and my hearing improves for a second before clogging back up. Does that fit with pressure on my inner ear? Also, would taking antibiotics or a medicine which eliminates phlegm help at all?

Yes. That sounds like problems with your inner ear or Eustachian tube.

I would not just throw antibiotics at the issue right now as they only treat bacteria, and not every bacteria at that.

I'm not sure if an expectorant/anti phlegm medicine would help....