Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a small white bump on the INSIDE of my lower eyelid.

I have a small white bump on the INSIDE of my lower eyelid. The area around the small bump is inflammed/red. This morning when I woke up, the area under my eye was swollen a bit. That has gone away, but the little white bump and inflammation inside the lower lid is still there.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So where do I go from here???
The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

Does this make sense to you?

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Sorry about the technical problems with the chat system this evening :-(
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The bump isn't ON my eyelid, it's INSIDE the eyelid. It's not a chalazion. It's a small white bump INSIDE the eyelid. The area around it is inflammed. The area under the eye was swollen this morning, but that swelling has gone away.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I say the white bump is INSIDE the eyelid, I mean I have to pull the eyelid down to see it.
Yes. That is a very common spot for one of these beasts to show up. It is from a plugged gland in your eyelid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So how does using baby shampoo on the outside of the eyelid treat the bump on the inner side of the eyelid?
Actually, the baby shampoo, warm compresses and scrubbing motion of your fingers addresses all the issues that causes the chalazion to form: It gets rid of the bacteria, removes the plugged up oils and gland secretions and massages the infected/plugged gland to encourage it to drain, along with the friction/warm compresses helping your body to move white blood cells into the area to clean up the mess.

I know most people want an $100/bottle antibiotic eye drops and, if you want I'm sure you can get your doctor to prescribe some tobradex for you. But, I can tell you my way, while it is low tech, works better.

I've even used it myself when I got a bump like yours.

As they say: Trust me. I'm a Doctor ;-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I trust you; I'm just a contrarian. Thanks for your answers, I appreciate it!
No problem. You sound like a guy after my own heart :-)