Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My eyebrows are disappearing. I had my thyroid checked and

My eyebrows are disappearing. I had my thyroid checked and it is normal. My dermatologist has been working with me for 3-4 months. I tried Latisse and it didn't help. My dr. says I have alopecia in my eyebrows. I don't have it anywhere else. What could be wrong and how do I get new eyebrows?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

Systemic diseases such as lupus can cause eyebrow loss as can cancer, skin inflammation and many other things

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Dr. Rick :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Rick :

Did your doctors, especially your dermatologist, do an extensive workup and evaluation to see why you are loosing your eyebrows? Perhaps even a biopsy of your brow area?

Customer:

Yes. She did a biopsy.

Dr. Rick :

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. It seems obvious to me that your current doctors have reached the bottom of their bag of tricks and, yet, you are still having these problems. Is this something that I'm going to be able to figure out using "chat" as my only diagnostic tool? Of course not....I'm good, but not THAT good lol! I do, however, think I can point you in the right direction.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

It makes sense but I hesitate to get this involved with more doctors and hospitals.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, one option that doesn't involve a huge medical workup, is to consider a hair transplant to restore your eyebrows. But, without knowing the cause of your eyebrow loss, the transplant may not take. But it wouldn't hurt to talk to a transplant doctor....as long as you can stay immune to their, sometimes, strong arm sales tactics

Dr. Rick :

I can fully understand that. Have you considered having your eyebrows tattoo'd on? You could try makeup first and see how you like that look and, if it works for you, then have then put on permanently.

Customer:

I think I'll just use an eyebrow pencil and powder. Cheaper and less complicated.

Dr. Rick :

That does sound like a simple solution to a complex problem :-) I guess wisdom like this comes with age......I can't wait to get to that spot too ;)

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Customer:

No. Thank you very much.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.