Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

eye lid

I have a slight reddish coloring and slight "bruise" on the inner side of the lower eyelid (right eye). It feels like there is a hair stuck there but when I look there is no hair. The reddish "bruise" is touching the eye ball and bothering it. I've had this for several weeks. At first ignored it because I thought it was nothing and in between it may have gone away (or at times it does not bother me so I do not notice it). What should I do about it? See an opthamologist or another type of doctor?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is called your caruncle. It is a normal part of your eye anatomy and nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

You may even be able to see small hairs in it if you look closely enough.

Dr. Rick :

It can become irritated and bother you eye. This is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you stop picking at it and use artificial tears to soothe your eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please press the excellent feedback button so that I can get compensated for my time. If you are not yet happy with my answer, please press "reply to expert" instead of giving poor feedback so that we can continue to work on your issue.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
There is no need to see an ophthalmologist or any doctor for this issue. As you said, usually you don't even notice it.

Look at your friends eyes and you will see everyone else has one too.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Clarification: I do notice it. I meant i did not notice it before. I think i have a slight infection (conjuctivitis) as I did go to an opthamologist after I sent the question today and have been given some medication (eye drops). Perhaps I did not explain the issue well enough to you as the issue has been an irritation. Thank you for your effort.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
My pleasure. Glad to hear that you are now on the correct treatment. I'm sure things will clear up quickly.

Sorry for the misunderstanding of what the primary issue was....