Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

gnat flew in eye....when tried to get with q tip.....it moved

gnat flew in eye....when tried to get with q tip.....it moved under the lower lid and seemed to disappear behind the eyeball (don't even know if that is possible) ......can not see it at all....any advice?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The good news is that the gnat can not get behind your eyeball and start buzzing around in your brain.....the conjunctiva forms a barrier all around your eye.

Dr. Rick :

You may have already gotten it out. A smashed gnat is kinda small and easily missed.

Dr. Rick :

I would suggest flushing you eye out with -- first choice -- sterile saline or artificial tears or -- second choice -- clean tap water, holding your eye lids open with your fingers or help of a friend.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? Gnats in the eye usually don't cause any problems although, if you get too aggressive in trying to hunt this beast down, you may scratch your cornea....which will hurt. A lot. For about 24 hours. And put you at risk for an infection.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? DonYou are going to be ok.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? Don't get to crazy poking around your eyeball for the gnat. Everything will be ok

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :