Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi after a bit of stress I had nasty bacteria in my nostrils

Hi after a bit of stress I had nasty bacteria in my nostrils and an eye infection (dry eye) blethiritus sorry for the spelling was issued with Chlorephenical and have bathed my eye in hot/warm bearable water. My feel both my eyes are much better but they swell at night,not as much though when taking the drops. Lately I noticed when pulling my eyelid or skin to the side or lift it up I have noticed this white almsot like egg white but it does move it just looks like its sitting there and comes away from the outter eyeball when stretch what is this?? is it healing?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That "stuff" you are pulling on is called conjunctiva. It is the outer layer of "skin" around your eyeball.

Dr. Rick :

Please don't tear it off.....it will really, really hurt :)

Customer:

yes I think so, I was checking all around my eye to see if its clearing up and thats what I noticed

Dr. Rick :

Nothing to worry about.......just leave it alone.

Dr. Rick :

Also, chlorampenicol is not the best treatment for blepharitis.....

Customer:

wasn't sure if it was the antibiotics or something else,it dosen't hurt and haven't pulled at it directly only by moving the eye eye skin to see and it looks like its pulling away but it dosen't move.

Customer:

im a worrier and then I start looking at all sorts online

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production,

Customer:

hmm I wonder why I was prescribed this, the reason for this since March I have had random swelling of my eyes overnight and when I wake in the morning the top lids are very swollen, it can be one eye or the other or both

Dr. Rick :

Ya. The internet has all sorts of scary things on it. That is why talking to a real doctor, in my case an eye specialist, is so handy...we can sort things out for you.

Dr. Rick :

Perhaps you doctor thought a nose infection was involving you eyes....you noted things were better some......

Dr. Rick :

but antibiotics are only a short term solution to blepharitits....the lid scrubs take care of it forever.

Customer:

yes definately thank-you, so yesmy eyes dont seem or feel the sense of scratchy but the swelling was the biggest issue every morning or it happend religously every thur morning weird, ok I will try baby shampoo, but my natural reaction would be to flinch because I would think it stings lol

Dr. Rick :

But at least now you know what that white, egg like stuff is in your eye :-)

Dr. Rick :

Baby shampoo doesn't even make a baby flinch lol!

Dr. Rick :

So I bet you will be ok ;)

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer:

but my main concern for the minute was that white bit at the side of my eye I always think there must be a reason why its there I have never seen it before thats all, getting late here and docs are closed . When am I safe to wear my vision lenses again

Customer:

thank-you very much and I certainly will

Customer:
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Have a good day!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I just got your post.

Once your eyes have been back to normal for a few days you should be fine to return to wearing your contact lenses.