Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My son had lens implantation due to his nanophthalmos eye to

My son had lens implantation due to his nanophthalmos eye to lower pressure.
All went well except he has macular edema. Will this clear his vision if under treatment
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

CME after surgery in a nanophthalmic eye is something that I am sure the surgeon thought might happen. This issue also occasionally crops up in normal eyes after cataract surgery.

Customer: What happens after he puts asteroid drop in for two weeks and does not see a change. He sees hazy vision and deem ness at night
Dr. Rick :

Your son's surgeon may want to add a topical NSAID, such as Xibrom or Voltaren, to the pred forte. A study in 2006 showed that using a drop like these gave marked improvement in 85% of patients.

Dr. Rick :

Two weeks is really too short of a time to see an improvement in this condition. I'd give it at least two months.

Customer: He is getting very discouraged. What is next step if this does not work
Dr. Rick :

As a retina specialist I treat the difficult cases of CME and I can tell you that over 95% of patients are successfully treated by their cataract surgeons and never need my help :)

Dr. Rick :

The next step is to see a retina specialist

Customer: He is seeing a retina specialist now and has had all the tests. He is discouraged because these doctors do not give him an answer and he must have his other eye done bit must wait for this to clear
Dr. Rick :

I think adding xibrom to your son's drops will clear things up

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like he is getting state of the art treatment and everything that can be done is being done. I do believe, given the history of CME, that your son has a very good chance of the swelling resolving even with the fact he has a nanophthalmic eye

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry that his doctors are not taking the little bit of extra time to sit down and talk with your son about what is going on. I would be happy to discuss any issues in detail with you, review any tests (OCT, FA ect) and let you know what they mean if you would like.

Customer: Thank you very much for your help. If he has any questions can he get back to you and how
Dr. Rick :

He can just ask for me on this system. You can bookmark my link if you would like. If he can scan his documents into his computer he can link them to the discussion thread using the paperclip on his screen...

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer: Thank you so much . He is 24 and is having a difficult time adjusting to all this
Dr. Rick :

I can imagine. He is fortunate to have family such as yourself to help him during these difficult times. Not everyone is so lucky.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I hope your son's CME improves soon :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest