Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I just discovered a small very hard painless lump behind my

I just discovered a small very hard painless lump behind my left ear on the bone. It doesn't move and it is slightly smaller than the size of a pea. It sticks out and looks almost like a mosquito bite but it is not a bug bite. Should I be concerned about this?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that what you are seeing is a small lymph node. These get a bit large when they are busy fighting infections.

Dr. Rick :

This is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Have a good day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. That is good to hear. I always thought, however, that a lymph node would be soft to the touch. Can a lymph node get this hard?
Yes. They can feel pretty hard at times......nothing to worry about :-)