Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive had these massive headaches associated with random color

I've had these massive headaches associated with random color blindness (yellow is pink, black is orange). What could it be?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Dr. Rick :

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects....but it sounds like you are getting the severe headaches :(

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you consult with a neurologist and see if she can put you on some medicines to decrease the frequency of your headaches and visual symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

have a good day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't get the spots you mentioned. All i have is the massive headache (3 weeks straight. Hasn't stopped.) and the color changes.
I'm very sorry that you felt the need to give me a poor rating. I would appreciated the chance to discuss your issue further with you so that I can better understand what it is you need.

I look forward to your reply.

I just saw your post.......

Everyone has different symptoms with their migraines. After 30 years of dealing with this issue myself I can tell you that my visual symptoms have been exactly like yours at times.

I really believe you are suffering from severe migraines and, since it has been going on for so long and is so severe, you should try to get in to see a neurologist ASAP so that she can help to break this episode and make you feel better.

It was a pleasure to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.