Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My spouse has been diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes although

My spouse has been diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes although it seems to affect only one eye at this time. Surgery has been recommended but I am less enthusiastic about it having read about less than successful surgeries and botched operations.
I have seen a number of ads for eye drops that claim to have beneficial and in some cases regular use has lead to cure...by dissolving the cataract...
I am looking for an opinion from an eye doctor who has expereince with both surgery and treatment with drops of cataracts.
What are the risks of both treatment methods?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Cataract surgery is, actually, fairly safe with a very low complication rate in experienced hand. I really wouldn't worry about the "horror stories" you read on the internet about it.

Dr. Rick :

As far as drops that will cure or dissolve a cataract that is a bunch of BS. There is no such thing. The only benefit you will get from purchasing these drops, diet plans, exercises ect is that your wallet will be lighter and easier to carry around :)

Dr. Rick :

Every single one of those claims are a scam.

Dr. Rick :

If her vision is not good enough to do the things she wants to do, and her cataracts have been found to be the cause, I would encourage her to have the cataract removed.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
have a good day.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You can call me a sceptic if you wish, but you are saying that "every single one is a scam" and I want to know on what you base that all emcompassing statement.
There are several horror stories in the answer archive of this service regarding botched cataract operations and those speak as least as loud as your claim of scam.
I have no doubt that the surgery is generally safe when performed by competent people, but your answer does not at this point give me enough confidence without more info on your claim of scam.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
On 20 years of clinical practice and answering this question over and over again over the last two decades.

Also, it is physiologically impossible for a topical drop to penetrate inside the eyeball, then through the capsular bag and then "dissolve or clarify" the fibers of the lens. It just can't happen.

I can understand your desire to find an alternative to cataract surgery for your wife and, to this end, go ahead and purchase the cataract dissolving drops. Hopefully they will not do any harm (who knows what is in them) and then you will see for yourself that they will not do any good.

I have done thousands of cataract surgeries during the first part of my career as an ophthalmologist and I never once had a vision threatening complication like the ones you seem to have read about on the internet. I would not hesitate to have my wife, parents or family members have a visually significant cataract removed surgically as I know it is a very safe procedure.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the positive feedback button so that I receive credit for my time.

I wish the very best for you wife.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello:
I will not post a negative comment about your answer, but your answer does indicate that you do not know what is in the drops. I respect the efforts and tremendous dedication that a doctor makes to beocme a professional in his field and I applaud your years of success but I will conitnue to try to find a safer alternative prior to surgery.
The drops may do nothing more tha confirm that surgery is the best path.....but you have admitted you do not know what is in them.
I would encourage you to read in the archives of this service more than what I would have expected and consider ctataract horror stories.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure. Best of luck to you and your wife.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Actually, if the drops work, I would love to hear back from you.....I'm always open to learning new things :-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will confirm one way or the other..
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!