Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Can autoimmune disorders cause short sharp intermittent pains

Can autoimmune disorders cause short sharp intermittent pains in the head along with scalp itching, irritation and tenderness? Lately I have had those symptoms in addition to a slight tingling in my finders and toes that comes and goes. The tingling and head and scalp symptoms go away with rest. I dont have any other neurological symptoms. My appetite is good and I dont have any weight loss. I have a history of anxiety, osteoarthritis, and high blood pressure. My Rheumatologist was concerned about the possibility of rheumatoid arthritis; however, I dont have any joint swelling or joint deformity. Since I have dry eye syndrome he was also concerned about sjogrens syndrome. Can any of my symptoms be characteristic of rheumatoid arthritis or sjogrens. I am very worried, so any additional information you can give me would be appreciated.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. These symptoms do not sound consistent with rheumatoid arthritis, but possibly Sjogren's syndrome, though this more classically involves the mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth, genitalia). There are autoimmune disorders though that can cause the tingling and numbness of the digits. Does that make sense?

Yes, I was just concerned about other possible conditions that could cause these symptoms. All of my symptoms are pretty mild and not bothersome. Could any of these symptoms have any thing to do with a recent sinus infection that I was treated for. I still have some nasal congestion and discomfort around and above my left eye.

Doctor DanB : No, these symptoms don't sound like anything that should've happened from your sinus infection. I suspect that these are likely unrelated and probably nothing to worry about.

There are certain things that bring these symptoms, such as hunger, hot weather and humidity, stress and sometimes turning my head or moving my head quickly. I do have neck pain with herniated discs in my cervical spine. Could all this either be anxiety related or possibly brought on because of my neck problems?

Doctor DanB : Absolutely these could be related to both anxiety and herniated discs.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions?

Without any other neurological symptoms, should I be concerned about MS? Should I have any other tests to check for other autoimmune disorders?

Doctor DanB : Without any other symptomsmimwouldnt necessarily be concerned for MS, nor do these symptoms suggest another autoimmune disorder to test for. I would just recommend watching these symptoms and trying to be calm and patient.

OK. Thank you for your time.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry!