Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

1st question: Have a sore though, been about a week, been coughing

Customer Question

1st question: Have a sore though, been about a week, been coughing a lot.
There is a minor "lump" on 1 side of my throat, about under the chin.
Waking up really sore.
What could be the cause/issue?
Anything I should do?

2nd question: Woke up with eyes.. I guess you could say "crusted" shut.
Had gooey like substance on my eyes and were really hard to clean off.
Eyes were all red after, sore and kinda had vision issues.
Whats happening?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Based on the entirety of your symptoms I suspect you have a viral upper respiratory infection. These are often caused by viruses which are known to cause common colds, but there are many types of these viruses and they can cause a spectrum of severity of symptoms similar to what you're describing. I suspect the lump under your chin is likely an enlarged lymph node, a result of the infectious process.
Doctor DanB : As far as your eye symptoms, though, I suspect this is also part of the same infectious process, likely a viral conjunctivitis, or what many people call 'Pink Eye'. Pink eye is caused by a virus (the same one that causes the common cold and some stomach flus) and often follows your exposure to either a virus that causes a common cold, a viral gastroenteritis (vomiting and/or diarrhea) or to someone with a red eye or one of those viruses.  It usually starts out as mostly a ‘pinkening’ of the white part of the eye.  It can also cause any of the following symptoms: pain, pressure, redness, burning, itching, foreign-body sensation, watering, light sensitivity in one or both eyes.  Shortly therafter, it usually goes into the other eye.  Many times, the only thing that bothers the person is that the eye is red. Unfortunately, there isn't any treatment that makes the virus go away and/or die. Many primary care doctors will mistakenly give out antibiotic drops for this and tell the patient that they will not be infectious after taking this drop for 24 hours. This is just simply not true. Antibiotics only work against bacteria and therefore have no treating power against viruses.Since there is no medicine to make a viral conjunctivitis resolve, you are unfortunately left to wait it out until the virus leaves the system. This can take up to 1-2 weeks for the eyes to look and feel normal again. I tell my patients that once their eyes look and feel normal again, then they are good to resume prior activities.Because there's no medicine to  kill the virus, infection control is the most important issue after symptom control; these secretions are incredibly contagious and so alcohol-based hand-gel is good to carry around with you and use liberally. Also, don't share towels with anyone and try to avoid being around elderly persons, persons with compromised immune systems or infants. As far as symptom treatment, cool compresses, artificial tears (without redness relievers in them) and OTC pain relief (ibuprofen or tylenol) are the best to control symptoms while you wait out the virus to run its course, which can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks. Its difficult to be a hermit for that long, so when the eyes look and feel normal, it is reasonable to behave normally as far as infection precautions go.  If things are not getting better after 1 week, or if it does start to get very painful or light sensitive to where you couldn't function, or if it just stays in one eye and the discharge and redness become significantly worse, then I would recommend going to the doctor as you may need prescription medicine to treat it. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns?  Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?  It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry!