Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

hi my 4 year old son got a liquid soap lotion in his eye on

Customer Question

hi my 4 year old son got a liquid soap lotion in his eye on friday its sunday and he still is keeping his eye shut, when i ask him to open it it is very red and the lid is swollen. what should i do
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. It sounds as though he may have a corneal abrasion or corneal ulcer (infected corneal abrasion). For this reason I think he needs to see an ophthalmologist to get this properly diagnosed. He should be feeling better after 48 hours if nothing were seriously wrong. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

You can also start using some artificial tears 4-5x/day and some cool compresses to see if that helps him feel better. But if this doesn't cause a fairly quick improvement in his symptoms, then i would take him to an ophthalmologist.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this that I can help you with?

Doctor DanB :

If not, your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. If at anytime you feel this process has been helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, if you see it. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.