Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Last year I had persistant smells of dead fish. Over time

Last year I had persistant smells of dead fish. Over time these smells disappeared and I only smell dead fish once in a while..

Since I was a girl I have off and on auditory hallucinations that do persist for days at a time. Sometimes I hear music or instruments playing when there are none. Sometimes I hear words spoken when no one is there... Recently we took a trip to Oklahoma where cicadas were every where. I have heard cicadas since we got back from OK on Friday the 6th of July 2012, it now the 8th of July..we live in New Hampshire. We have a creaky stairwell and can hear someone coming up or down the stairs. I often hear the stairs creaking but no one is on the stairs. We have a small windchime on the bathroom doorknob which chimes when someone opens the door. I hear those windchimes when I am alone.
I also think I see "individuals" at the corner of my eye, but when I turn my head, there is no one there.
I have persistant headaches with light sensitivity. I have seen bright pinpoints of light since 2004 and sometimes black blobs in my vision that are irregular in shape that blossom for a moment then fade away. Recently I had an MRI that showed multiple white patches on my brain. Since I have a family history of Diabetes, the neurologist is testing me for that, although my primary routinely tests me and they have come back negative,.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What is it that I can answer for you?

Dr. Rick :

Good morning. My system shows that you have entered the chat room. Are you there?

Customer:

having trouble replyin

g

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Sorry about that......

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer:

Can you see my original statement?

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

What is it that I can answer for you?

Dr. Rick :

Good morning. My system shows that you have entered the chat room. Are you there?</pCustomer:

having trouble replyin

g

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Sorry about that......

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think opthamology was the area for my question/concern. I have persistant auditory hallucinations and wondered at the cause
I understand that. A common cause of issues like yours is seizures and I think that I would start with an EEG and go from there with the help of a neurologist.

Does that make sense?

Let me know if you have any further questions. :)