Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have a headache of differing levels of severity all the time. This is accompanied by nausea, a feeling of strained muscles in the head, pain behind the eyes. I have the feeling of pistol shots in the head and snapping sensations which induce the nauseous feeling. As the snapping feeling occurs in my head I can also feel it in the musclus just above the knee in both legs. I have had this for 6 months now. I had an overdenture on implants fitted approximately 6\7 months ago and it is very uncomfortable in my mouth. Could this be the problem.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is likely that the headache ( along with pain behind the eyes) could be due to migraine or chronic sinusitis. In the absence of symptoms of sinusitis such as headache along with cold/nasal discharge, the headache you are experiencing could be due to migraine. Migraine can have many variants and this could be one of them. The snapping sensation in the knees however is not related to migraine nor is the dental procedure causing the headache ( dental caries however is a known cause for referred headache).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Treatment of migraine is with analgesics ( acetaminophen) and prophylaxis is with various medicines such as Propranolol, Flunarizine. The dosage can be discussed with the physician.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I was wondering whether the Optician has measured the intraocular pressure of the eyes during the eye exam. It would help to know as we can then not consider narrow angle glaucoma as one of the causes ( though a more detailed eye exam by an ophthalmologist would be much better as more specific eye tests such as gonioscopy would be needed).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though I cannot not be of more help without a proper examination , I could atleast give you a few threads which you can pursue such as a workup for migraine and to look out for narrow angle glaucoma as causes of headache with nausea.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you have not had a scan done then a MRI scan of the brain would also help to know if there is any intracranial cause for the symptoms.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou for your reply, I do not have migraine as I do not have the pain or flashing lights associated with it. It was diagnosed as Chronic Tension type headache for which I was prescribed Amyltriptilyne 20mg. I now get these headaches once a fortnight instead of 3 - 4 times a week. The problem is the snapping in the head which brings on a nauseous feeling.

I do not have glaucoma according to my optician.

Thankyou again
Hello Jane,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

I guess after such a detailed evaluation wherein most of the causes of headache have been considered and looked for, the cause for the snapping sensation in the head along with the nausea could be either due to the tension type of headache itself ( a variation from routine presentation) or it would need an MRI scan of the brain to look for intracranial cause.