Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250
Eye

I had a lower lid blepheroplasty four weeks ago. I just started

I had a lower lid... Show More
I had a lower lid blepheroplasty four weeks ago. I just started wearing my hard contact lenses a few days ago, and, while I have no problem inserting the lenses, it is difficult to get them out. I am afraid of stretching the skin around the outer eye corners. Why is it hard to get them out, and is there anything I can do to make it easier?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : It may be harder to get them out if the eye is more dry. It is very common that after a blepharoplasty th eye is more dry. This can cause less lubrication on the eye, making it more difficult I get he lens out. If you do not already use a mini suction cups
Doctor DanB : If you don't already use a mini suction cup to get the lens out, your eye doctor can direct you to or perhaps even sell you one of these inexpensive little devices that can make removing hard contact lenses easier. Does that make sense?
Customer:

I haven’t used the cups, I will ask my eye doctor about them. The lenses seem to stick to my eye, and that is why it’s hard to get them out!

Doctor DanB : Yes, I can certainly understand that. Also, ifnyiunhover artificial tears 3-4x/day for a few weeks, this will help your eyes be less dry and likely get over this dry period. Also using a drop of hese right before taking out your lenses can also make it easier to get them out.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info, but is there a typo about the kind of artificial tears you suggested to use?
There are many different brands available OTC on the market and all are relatively equivalent. Some brand names my patients like to use include Systane, Refresh, Blink, Optive, and Soothe, but any artificial tear will do fine as long as it doesn't have a get-the-red-out chemical in it.