Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Can you have a crystalens on one eye and multifocal lens on

Customer Question

Can you have a crystalens on one eye and multifocal lens on the other?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

Both the IOLs in your eyes have a different mechanism of action but finally help with both distance and near vision ( without the need of glasses for near work). Your problem in the right is more to do with the surgery than the type of IOL. If the right eye was having poor vision immediately after surgery then there would have been a post-operative inflammation or some other cause for it. Though not preferable but it should not cause any problem for having inserted a different IOL in each eye. So I guess you can stop worrying on this aspect for being the cause of problems in the right eye. It would be difficult to know what exactly was the reason for poor vision in the right eye without the details of the eye exam ( including pre-operative, opertaive and post -operative notes).

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Going to have AK done on right eye in October. I hope this solves the problem.

Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Hello ,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Astigmatic Keratotomy(AK) is done for cases where astigmatism is the cause for the reduced vision. Yes if your surgeon thinks that astigmatism is the cause of blurred vision then yes you can undergo the procedure. As must have already been explained to you , it is a short procedure done under topical anesthesia eye drops. You will begin to notice improvement within a couple of days or a bit later if there is corneal edema.

All the best for the procedure and hope it resolves the eye issue.

Thank you and best wishes.