Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My mother is 74 yrs old. Three days ago the white of her eye

My mother is 74 yrs old. Three days ago the white of her eye showed a small amount of blood in it. It is now 75 percent of the white of her eye. It does not hurt and it has not affected her sight. Is this something that we need to take her to the emergency room for or can it wait until Monday when she has an appointment?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 2 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

She likely has a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This happens when delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) burst. This is very similar to a bruise, but redder because there is no skin overlying the blood. The bleeding is usually the result of minor trauma such as coughing or eye rubbing.

Though its appearance is alarming and appears dangerous, it is generally harmless.

Similar to a bruise, subconjunctival hemorrhage may take 1-2 weeks to reabsorb and go away. During that time, it may
darken and change colors. That is expected and no need to worry. Worrisome symptoms are pain, decrease vision, or double vision. You should contact your ophthalmologist promptly if these occur.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Expert:  Dr. James replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I understand you correctly unless pain or affected vision she should be alright until Monday?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 2 years ago.
Correct.