Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Last Sunday I got small "floating" opaque circles with tiny

Customer Question

Last Sunday I got small "floating" opaque circles with tiny black dots across my vision (right eye)

They have continued and are noticeable with bright light.

I have made an appointment with Mr Z Gregor at Moorfields on Wednesday but have been "advised" to go to an Eye Hospital now

What is your advice?

Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Was it more like a sudden shower of floaters with flashes of light?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is the vision in the right eye now ( is it blurred as if looking through a veil or curtain in any part of the visual field)?

Dr. A.S. Desai : Sorry there a small problem with the chat.
Dr. A.S. Desai : A sudden bout of floaters with tiny black dots can be seen in case of vitreous hemorrhage or PVD(posterior vitreous detachment) or RD(retinal detachment).
Dr. A.S. Desai : It would be difficult to know which of these is the condition you have without a proper eye exam ( a dilated eye exam called fundus examination is the key test and may need other tests for confirmation).
Dr. A.S. Desai : It is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist at the eye hospital. Of the above mentioned conditions RD requires immediate identification and treatment. It is characterised by a sudden bout of floaters and flashes of light along with fogginess of vision as if looking through a veil or curtain.
Dr. A.S. Desai : Here is a small note on PVD-
Dr. A.S. Desai : In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion.Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist.This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals.
Dr. A.S. Desai : Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist