Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Eye discharged started when new glasses r worn but only one

Customer Question

Eye discharged started when new glasses r worn but only one eye its bad but is causing
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is the eye discharge- watery or mucoid?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does the child have any known allergies?

Customer : It is mostly watery
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Is there any associated redness in that eye( does it appear pink)?

Customer : no allergies
Customer : No pink or redness more puffness on bottom eye lend
Dr. A.S. Desai :

well puffiness of the lid with watering could be seen either due to an allergy ( the exact allergen may not be known many a times) or blepharitis ( inflammation of the lid).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

what is the material of her new glasses- made up of metal frame or fibre/plastic frame?

Customer : Should i call her doctor and c if i can be seen or should i try something else for the time being
Customer : One paper is metal and the other is plastic
Dr. A.S. Desai :

sorry I did not understand your reply. I was enquiring the material of the spectacle frame as I was wanting to know if there was a possibility of contact dermatitis ( puffiness below the lowerlid).

Customer : She has two pair of glasses one frame is metal and the other is a plastic frame and yes there is puffness and redness from the lower eye lidi did notice until she dtart wearing the matel frame glasses,when wearing plastic frames no watery eye
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Exactly the reason why I was wanting to know the material of the frame. Contact dermatitis is known to occur from metal frames. The solution is to discontinue the wear and switch back to plastic frame. The skin puffiness will disappear with the anti-allergy medicine which you have given and can continue to do so for another 2 days.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But that would only explain the eyelid puffiness and not the watering from one eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the watering persists beyond a week then do get her eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look. In the absence of redness or pain in that eye , there is no possibility of something serious in the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just give her lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4-6 times a day, in the meanwhile.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.