Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

hi. i just have a general question...

hi. i just have a general question...a lot of doctor's offices and hospital offices have unpleasant people working there...i just called a major hospital you would think would have good service to ask for directions, and got a rude person who didn't help at all, sounded like was chewing gum and didn't even try to help, basically said just figure it out....i have even had my primary doctor apologize to me for his rude and incompetent staff, telling me he doesn't hire them, they work for the hospital...his staff one time got paperwork wrong and sent me for x-rays that were for another person and the doctor just rolled his eyes and told me he wished he could just fire them all... so, this lack of customer service has happened in several places i have observed...and not only to me but have observed how badly they treat others...once you get in to see them, the doctors are usually great, but this lack of customer service skills at the front desk reflects badly on the practice.... don't the doctors or hospitals realize the poor skills of a lot of their office help? or is help hard to come by? or are they union or something and hard to fire... i used to work in customer service and they actually trained us how to be attentive and professional to the public...this a skill we are seeing less of everywhere now but as people go to doctors when sick, you think this would be the place where such skills would be of the most importance.... i was just wondering another doctor's opinion of this....
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

More and more in today's medical environment the physician is being treated like a worker bee and is stripped of any power to impact the way her office is being run, the prices set for her services or how her schedule is set.

Dr. Rick :

This sad trend is one of the major reasons that the applications have fallen by over 600% in the last decade. Soon there won't be enough applicants to fill the available positions in Medical Schools and, soon afterward, we will start to run out of qualified doctors.

Dr. Rick :

I no longer suggest to my children or young patients that they should become doctors. The rewards for decades of schooling and sacrifice are quickly disappearing.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi. i hit the excellent button several times but nothing happened. i think system wants me to reply which is what i am doing....you are so very right. i have read so many articles about all the demands on doctors these days...from 5 minute visits, immense paperwork, insurance, loans, third party oversight, low reimbursements...etc...many young bright people don't consider it a viable option anymore...it is too bad...your answer reminded me of how the medical field has changed and how all the new rules make it harder for doctors to practice compared to before...do you think the situation will get better--or worse--for providers with obamacare? ...thank you...
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I think it will get worse :(

Give the button a try again......and thanks :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest