Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hi, Im having a lot of anxiety since my 27 year old daughter

Customer Question

Hi, I'm having a lot of anxiety since my 27 year old daughter went to have a routine eye exam at a Lens Crafters store near us. She did not opt for a dilated eye exam as she was just trying to get an updated prescription for new glasses quickly. She is moving to New Zealand for the 12 months to work on her PHd and has to do a lot of up-close reading all of the time.
The technician that gave her the Air-puff test said that her readings were 22 in one eye and 23 in the other. Upon hearing this my daughter was upset and asked her to repeat the test. The second readings were 19 in one eye and 20 in the other. Following this pre-test by the technician, the optometrist did the routine exams for determining my daughter's prescription for eyeglasses and assured my daughter that her eyes looked very healthy.
I am left wondering why my daughter would have an eye pressure reading like this and whether or not I should be as frightened by this as I am. The only thing that I keep wondering is if her taking Yasmin birth control pills could be elevating her eye pressure.
Could you please let me know what your thoughts are regarding this as my daughter has now left for New Zealand as of today and I'm plagued with constant anxiety over this. Thank you very much.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes, I'm online now

Doctor DanB : First of all, let me out your mind at ease. One random pressure check that is only very slightly above what is considered normal is not alarming at all. Then, when you take into account that the "air-puff" test is not the most accurate way to check eye pressure, I become even less concerned. Finally, to top it all off, the fact that this information was gathered by a "technician" at LensCrafters (who was probably stocking shelves at Walmart the week before) gives me absolutely no confidence in it whatsoever. I wouldn't trust this crucial exam to an optometrist in a retail store like this, nor would I suspect that their findings would be very accurate.
Doctor DanB : If there is a family history of glaucoma, then it's possible that there may be some reason to pursue this further, but I certainly wouldn't panic at all. Even if, in the worst case scenario, your daughter turned out to have glaucoma, it still is not a sentence of blindness. Most people who keep up with their eye drops and regular visits to their ophthalmologist don't lose significant vision from glaucoma.
Doctor DanB : The best way to get peace of mind, though, is to schedule a complete evaluation with an ophthalmologist. That will set both of your minds at ease. Does that make sense?
Customer:

that does ease my mind somewhat but I'm still wondering if Yasmin birth control pills COULD be responsible IF these readings were in anyway accurate

Doctor DanB : The birth control pills are not known risk factors for elevated eye pressure, some wouldn't worry about that.
Doctor DanB : Does all this make sense?
Customer:

yes, that does make sense to schedule an eye exam with an opthamologist but I know that because she has quit her job as a D.C. lawyer to pursue her PHD in public health and has conseqquently lost her health insurance for the next year, she will likely wait one year to get such an exam when she is back in Virginia with medical insurance once again. Do you think that waiting that length of time could cause her to damage her eyesight IF something is going on that we are currently unaware of?

Doctor DanB : It's unlikely that waiting a year is going to lead to a significant vision damaged glaucoma is currently happening, but it would be good to try to get the exam before too long.
Customer:

What I'd like to ask before you go is if the readings of 19 and 20 were accurate is that cause for concern insomeone who otherwise seems very healthy and is as young as she is?

Doctor DanB : No. Not at all.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic? 
Customer:

Okay, my last question is regarding what factors she can change to try to bring this pressure down?

Doctor DanB : Nothing really. Though there's no cause to try and bring down this pressure--it's absolutely normal.
Customer:

Bless your heart. Thank you. I feel a LOT better

Doctor DanB : Youre welcome. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry! 
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions I can help you with?
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Good luck!