Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

hi my wife age 39 recently had catarac surgery on her left

hi my wife age 39 recently had catarac surgery on her left eye.a new tri focal lense was installed. since the surgery , almost four weeks ago her eye site has remained worse than before the surgery. she has a black shadow in her vision and her eye quivers . her vision is as if there is a vail in her vision . she has noticed that in bright outdoor sunlite she can see much more clearly and even read very well. she has told her surgeon this and he jumps all over the place with no statistics or any real oppinion. he has left her with no answers. my questions are.....is there any chance of some recovery , i have heard sometimes it can take months........could the veil affect be a film caused bye the surgery and be repaired with laser surgery...........and could this be an infection that may be un detected. pllease let me know any and all information you can...yours truely mike jean

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Assuming there is no problem with retina, I suspect very much that this  is from a change and decrease in contrast sensitivity compared to what the natural lens provided. One of the biggest problems with these new premium intraocular lenses is that in order to achieve useful vision at several different focal planes, the contrast sensitivity that the premium artificial lens provides is less than what the natural lens provides. This can make it seem like there is a veil over the vision and also why the vision improves in bright lighting environments. 
Doctor DanB : While many people are able to adjust to this over time, some people ultimately never get used to it. The time for adjustment usually is anywhere from a couple of weeks to one year at most. However, people that already have eye diseases that limit contrast sensitivity, such as macular degeneration, glaucoma, or dry eye, should not have these lenses implanted and as such are bad candidates for the lenses and usually do not have a good outcomes with them.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns?  Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic? 
Doctor DanB : If not, Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer: Hi again the other questions. Are will glasses or contacts fix her vision problem
Doctor DanB : It is possible that glasses can help her brain overcome this problem and that would be the first thing I might try; but it's possible that they may not; unfortunately, everyone's brain responds differently to these things.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is a second surgery an option. maybe their is a more powerfull lense of a higher quality. or are the dangers to great. anyway you have been very helpfull . it is sad that the opperation , which wasnt cheap, has done more damage to her eye sight than good. we will hope for some recovery . or be looking for another option.. thank you sir

Youre welcome. Certainly another option you have is to have this lens explained and a standard, monofocal im