Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Over the last few weeks I have noticed that my left eye is

Over the last few weeks I have noticed that my left eye is different from my right one. It seems that the lower lid is drooping more than the left. The left eye looks markedly more open than the right. I am concerned there may me a serious reason behind this.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that what is going on with your eyes is related to your thyroid disease.

Dr. Rick :

Are you having any visual problems, any double vision etc?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My eye sight seems much as it was
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. That is good. Is it possible for you to upload a picture or two of your eyes/orbits? You can use the paperclip on your screen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry unable to do that, can you give me any more info as to whether it will get worse or better and will it only stay the one eye affected
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. We can do this without the pictures :)

As long as your vision is OK and you are not seeing double etc then nothing serious is going right now.

The best thing to do is have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist. In addition to doing the standard exam she will measure your globes with a special instrument called a hertel exophthalmometer. This will tell her if your eyes are pooching forward and causing your eyelids to be in abnormal position. In addition she will test the muscle function of each eyeball and eyelid to make sure everything in OK.

Make sure you see an ophthalmologist and not an optometrist as this type of evaluation is beyond the training of the latter....

I do not think that this is an emergency but I'd feel better if you could be seen in the next few weeks.

Does this make sense to you?

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our posts crossed each other inside the guts of the World Wide Web ;-)

I'm still here if you have any other questions...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will this eye return to normal in time or will this be perminent, I am worried that it may get worse and I can see the difference already and feel anxious I will be left looking weird
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
That is a very good question and it depends on the cause of the changes in your lid. If it is from early Graves orbitopathy then it may get worse over the next few years. In the majority of cases, if it is Graves disease, the inflammation, lid and eye muscle changes stabilize after about 2 years.

Now, I know that is kinda scary to hear, but remember, at this point we don't know what is causing the changes in your lid. After a complete evaluation like I discussed above your ophthalmologist will be able to give you more information on what to expect.

If you have questions after talking to your eye doctor I would be happy to help you understand what she said and what is going on.

Let me know what else I can do for you :-)

It was a pleasure to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest