Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

The skin on my eyeballs appears to be "loosening". I am 60

The skin on my eyeballs appears to be "loosening". I am 60 year old female with type 2 diabetes that is well controlled with medication. Is this a normal part of aging.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. And no. It is seen in aging but not everyone get it. What you are experiencing is called dermatochalasis

Customer:

Will it get worse. Am I doing anything to cause it. Can I reverse it?

Dr. Rick :

Oops.....I may not have read your post closely enough. ......do you mean that the skin on the white part of your eyeball is getting looser/boggy or more prominent?

Customer:

Yes, the covering over my entire eyeball is getting looser. I notice this when I am applying or removing makeup.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Please ignore the whole "dermatochalasis" thing.... ;)

Dr. Rick :

Let's start over :-)

Dr. Rick :

It is not unusual for the skin around your eyeball (conjunctiva) to become more pliable with age. If it looks normal in all other respects then it is probably just that -- looser connections of the conjunctiva to your eyeball and nothing needs to be done. This is not something you caused or anything that needs any treatment.

Customer:

OK, thanks.

Dr. Rick :

Other conditions can cause the conjunctiva to swell, sometimes so much that it "pooches" though your closed eyelids. When this happens there is irritation, redness, tearing etc....and this doesn't sound like what is going on in your case.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer:

No, I just notice that if I am cleaning the edges of my lids with a Qtip, if the qtip pushes against the eyeball skin, it wrinkles up just for a moment.

Dr. Rick :

That is completely normal. :)

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer:

Thanks for your help doc.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day.

:-)