Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Have had a severe headache for three weeks, with off/on fever

Have had a severe headache for three weeks, with off/on fever 99-103.6, different times throughout the day for the fever, but always at night and first thing in the morning. Headache, wake up with it so bad I have to hold my head to cough or sneeze and sometimes just to walk. Multiple times through the day I am having sharp shooting pains from just above my right ear to my eye. I went to my doctor after the first week, she said it was viral, probably the flu, it hasn't gotten better, in fact it is worse. Any suggestions?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Well, after three weeks of things not getting better, and actually getting worse, I agree with you -- this is most likely not a simple viral infection.

Dr. Rick :

I would either return to this doctor, or maybe even another one for further workup. At the very least blood work is indicated and maybe even an MRI of your head. It is also interesting to note that you continue to be very thirsty even though you are drinking a lot of water.....

Dr. Rick :

I wish that I could tell you exactly what is going on but, in your case, further examination and studies are the only way to narrow down the choices :(

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

I hope you feel better soon :)
Hi Nancy,

I was just thinking about you and wondering if your doctor has been able to figure out what is causing your severe headaches. I hope you are feeling better :-)