Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Is it possible to have blurrred vision and burning eyes related

Is it possible to have blurrred vision and burning eyes related to health issues other than opthalmologic, when an opthalmologist is not able to diagnose the cause? If so, what might these other causes be?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. This is entirely possible......even us ophthalmologists miss things and make mistakes :-)

Dr. Rick :

Actually, the most common cause for symptoms like yours is a combination of anterior segment problems such as dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis. These are all conditions that are easily missed during a busy clinical day by the doctor.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? There is a home treatment that you can do which has a very high chance of making your eyes feel better and your vision become less blurry.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by, in your case, a corneal specialist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

I hope you feel better soon :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found your information helpful. I have had accompanying pain in the temporal region and around the eyes for 7 months, which is worsening with the eye pain and blurry vision. I have other symptoms not related to my eyes and was wondering if other conditions not directly related to the eyes, might be related i.e. endocrine problems.
Yes, that is a distinct possibility. Many systemic problems, such as thyroid, can cause problems with the eyes and vision as can diabetes etc.

It might be worthwhile to have a complete physical exam (again :( if you continue to have difficulty.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As PTH TPH and glucose levels were normal, parathyroid, thyroid and diabetes issues have been ruled out. Abnormal test results are elevated IGA, IGE, eosinophils, calcium, phosphate. Low platelets, vitamin D. Positive Speckled ANA 1/160. Can you please shed more light on what other systemic disorders or diseases, might be responsible for this unbearable pain in the eyes and eye region of face with a continued blurring of vision.

Unrelated to the eyes, it might be helpful to know that there has been a 35 lb weight loss in a short amount of time, even with increased food intake. I have also had altered taste.

What eye tests or other tests might you recommend so that my opthalmologist or any other doctor might take my eye problems seriously.

Your suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not understanding your above response to me. As your previous communication requested your rating and stated " I don't go up in a puff of smoke" thereafter, I have rated your service as excellent and I have relayed further information to you, in the hope of receiving your consideration. You indicated that you would be available for further assistance and I do not understand your request for further information. Please explain.
For some reason my entire post to you did not show up....with the exception of a period :(

Our system has recently been infected with Gremlins....sorry about the technical difficulties. Let me re-type my reply.......

It sounds like you have had a good systemic workup and the majority of other issues have been ruled out. At this point I believe that your primary problem is an anterior segment/dry eye issue as we discussed.

At the point I would do the home therapy at least daily for the next month and see how things go before doing any further systemic workup.