Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello as I am sure you remember I am having eye surgery on

Hello as I am sure you remember I am having eye surgery on the 25th of this month. and the doctor told me stop taking most over the counter meds two weeks pior to the surgery because the could interfer with the anesthesia. But my problem with that is Monday of this week i got i particual tear in my rotoar cuff. So what i am wondering is there any that i can take that wont interfer with the anestesia?
also why is it that you can't drink acohol the night before your surgery?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First the alcohol restriction: They don't want you eating or drinking anything after midnight and I guess they think if you get 4 drinks or so into you that you won't stop.....I'd just not drink for one night and make them happy :(

Dr. Rick :

Personally, my anesthesiologist does not put these restrictions on my surgery patients but, once again, this is their policy. You should be able to take tylenol for your shoulder pain without any adverse effect on your anesthesia.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Best of luck on your Strabismus surgery....I'm glad you have been able to feel calmer about the entire thing :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok sounds good thank you. I didnt want to make it sound like i was an acoholic but i am 21 and like to have fuun with friends. And i have been calmer about the surgery for a little bit but i am getting worried again

I have 5 kids, the youngest who is 16 and the oldest who is 30, so I know exactly what you mean. Fun with friends makes life worth living :)

You need to just do your best to take your mind off of this for the next few weeks. The new batman movie is coming out soon so that will help :) otherwise, just know that you are in good hands and everything should be OK.

Also, nothing is written in stone. If you want to cancel the surgery you can do so up to the moment they put you to sleep with the anesthesia -- you are, truly, the person with complete control so...no need to worry :)

Let me know how things turn out. And, remember, I am here to answer any questions you may have or even if you just need to blow off some steam ;-)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I meant to ask you this last night but I forgot is it true that you can't swim after this surgery got a month? Because I am going up to my friends cabin the wkkend after my surgery. Or do they just tell you these to lower your chance of getting an infection? This is the last time you will hear from me to after my surgery
That doesn't make sense to me....you should be able to swim after 4 or 5 days after strabismus surgery. Any adjustment of the sutures would be made on post op day number one and, once the skin (conjunctiva) has healed you should be OK to swim, especially if it is in a pool as opposed to a natural lake.

Boy. This surgeon sure has some strict rules :(

Good luck and it sounds like you are relaxing....... :-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok cool. thank you and i am trying my best to relax been working alot so that helps
Sounds like a great plan. Don't forget to drop me a note after your surgery so I know how things went :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I eon't forget after all the time you put up with me
You are too kind :-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. and if you don't hear from me by that Saturday something happened. Have a good few weeks
You too :)

And I'm sure that nothing bad is gonna happen.....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am confused I keep getting e-mails saying rate my answer am i suppose to click a smiley face in each box or am i just suppose to do it in one?
Yes, the system wants you to rate every box....but then you would end up paying again for every box!

Between you and me, just click the smiley face when you want to.....you don't have to do it every time as far as I am concerned :)

Are you being more relaxed? ;-)

Talk to you soon.....take care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yeah have been working 11 hr days dont really have time to worry. And going up north this weekend to our cabin in phelps WI. Next week it's really going to kick in though

Glad to hear it.....nothing like keeping busy to stop the worrying :)

Maybe you should just stay in the cabin until the day before your surgery lol!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
lol that would be nice

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did think of somthing i need you opinion on. I work at a pet hotel and after my surgery I want to go back to work that fridday or the next monday. And he wants me to take off aleast a pick maybe longer. what do you think the sugery is on a wednesday
Since everything is going to go well I think you can go back to work on the next Monday....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok sounds good
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Talk to you after my surgery for real
Sounds like a good plan. And remember. The Word is: Don't worry :)