Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

RA Sha

Customer Question

I am 72 yrs old and have minor(?) central vision distortion in both eyes (AMD?). In reading a book or signs, one eye ,(EITHER EYE), is better than using both eyes. My brain presents a horizontally compressed image to me. If I look at the word "hoot" with both eyes, what I "see" is "hot". With either right or left eye I see the full word with only minor distortion. I've visited many eye doctors and none have ever seen this or have any diagnosis. When I described this condition to a neural ophthalmologist in LA, he said he couldn't help me. I was hoping that the "plastic" brain could adjust for this, but its been about 10 years now with no change.
Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since this is a reply to a "moderator", not the expert who started working on this yesterday, I assume that my question has stumped the experts. I understand that this is a unique and difficult issue but I obviously wold pay for an answer that could fix my problem, but if there is no solution, I understand. Thank you

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly. Please do not respond to this as it will prevent the Professionals from accessing your question. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JA

I have just been alerted to your question.

In fact there is help for this but you are not going to here it from a lot of doctors, as you have seen.

This type of visual distortion is routinely addressed by developmental/behavioral optometrists who are trained to approach your vision from about 20 to 40 functional mechanisms that can be trained..and they will use lenses, exercises, and other maneuvers to get the visual brain in line with the eyes.

I have used this extensively with my patients over many years and have seen this type of problem readily addressed.

You have to find the right doctor.

These sites can help
www.covd.org
www.oepf.org
www.nora.cc

Good luck and let me know if you have further questions.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please select a 4 or 5 rating as this is how we are paid. Great service is my goal and if you are not yet satisfied please reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Hello..are you able to see the answer above? Let me know if not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a non developmental level word or phrase that describes this non-strabismic binocular vision anomaly? I have been to vision therapy for over a year to an optometrist who worked primarily with children's developmental problemsand spent hours doing exercises and computer work to focus properly. With effort I can get past the initial overlapping but this takes many seconds. It does not help for real-time activities like reading. They call this the BAOD syndrome and just prescribe optometric vision therapy. This is not a child's developmental issue. It happened to me at about age 62!
You need an adult optometrist that does the same thing if you are not getting anywhere.

They are called behavioral optometrists usually.
It is a clinical art and I would not stick with one that works only or mostly with children.
The same condition however, does persist, and it does not matter if you are older.
It is interesting that you have made some progress.

That progress has to become automatic, and lenses should be used to assist you.

There are multiple pathologic and non-pathologic opthalmologic terms and causes of central vision distortion. But I don't believe there is a good one for what you have as I think it is an optometric problem..and, you have been to many ophthalmologists so I am assuming that the pathologic conditions have been ruled out.