Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My husband is being treated for High blood pressure, mild asthma,

My husband is being treated for High blood pressure, mild asthma, and glaucoma. He is legally blind and has the use of only one eye. I have noticed that the meds for these conditions each have the potential to cause symptoms of theother conditions.... what to do
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:
Customer:

for a short time

Doctor DanB : Drug-drug interactions can be particularly difficult to reconcile, especially when those drugs are working otherwise. But thankfully, there are usually more than one option in medicines used to treat different disorders and that holds true for glaucoma and high blood pressure. While its true that taking a steroid such as Flovent has the potential to raise intraocular pressure, if he requires the steroid to manage his asthma (and other options such as long acting inhalers like salmeterol aren't an option Ora aren't working) then that will have to be acceptable because the other option (not controlling the asthma) can be life threatening.
Doctor DanB : Thankfully, though, with the myriad of glaucoma drops, lasers, and surgical options to treat glaucoma, most people, even those concurrently taking a steroid, can have their eye pressure controlled.
Customer:

the asthma is a side issue but not serious ... our larger concern is the glaucoma as he already has very limited vision. The blood pressure is also a high priority

Doctor DanB : Also, while it may be possible that extreme stress may have some effect on eye pressure, it is quite unlikely that it is significant and also unlikely that it wouldn't be overcome with the glaucoma medication. Regular stress, even if chronic, is not a known, severe risk factor for eye pressure elevation.
Doctor DanB : It is important to note though, that significantly elevated blood pressure can lead to elevated eye pressure, some think it would be more important to control the blood pressure and let the stress chips fall whee they may.
Doctor DanB : I think the limited and only possible effect of stress on his eye pressure is outweighed by the importance of blood pressure to his overall health and the potential impact of it on his eye pressure. Does that make sense?
Customer:

Yep, understood ... life over vision ... just want to avoid worsening either condition.

Doctor DanB : I can certainly understand that. But it sounds like you are making the appropriate decisions.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic? 
Customer:
Doctor DanB : I'm sorry fr some reason your last response didn't quite make it through to my end.
Doctor DanB : If you don't have any further questions about this, your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry! 
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology