Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My husband was just told he has bleeding beind his retina and

My husband was just told he has bleeding beind his retina and that the lasic surgery was not a good idea due to the scar tissue it would cause and that it could possibly make it worse. They recommended injections once a month. These injection were the same medications used to treat prostate cancer. How does that help with bleeding? Could his vision progressively get worse. when he was 18 he had a minor stroke which left him with periferal blindness. am really concerned.

Any information would be helpful
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist. It sounds like your husband is suffering from a subfoveal choroidal neovascular membrane (wet age related macular degeneration ) or wet ARMD.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That is correct. LASIK surgery will not do anything to improve his decreased vision from this issue.

Dr. Rick :

I treat this condition every day in my practice. As a matter of fact I have almost a dozen avastin/lucentis or afibercept injections scheduled this afternoon.

Customer:

I thought maucular degeneration happened to older adultshe is only 42?

Dr. Rick :

There are many forms of macular degeneration and a large number of various disease processes that can cause a choroidal neovascular membrane to form. While the drugs I mentioned above are primarily indicated in the age related form they are now being used more and more frequently in other causes of the formation of these abnormal blood vessels.

Dr. Rick :

I am guessing that your husband was evaluated and diagnosed by an ophthalmologist but has he been seen by a retina specialist?

Customer:

Yes, just today andhe was the one whole diagnosed him.

Customer:

The ophthalmologist referred him. I am just very conceredand not understanding.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Did the retina doc give any indication why your husband has a choroidal neovascular membrane (CNVM) or did he just say "there it is let's treat it"?

Dr. Rick :

I can understand your concern.

Dr. Rick :

. Before we had lucetis, avastin or afibercept the only treatment we had for subfoveal (in the center of your vision) wet AMD was laser, either the "hot" type or the "cool" type (photodynamic therapy). Now with these drugs we have something that can 'dry up' wet AMD without destroying the photoreceptors....in other words, preserve vision.

Customer:

He just said there it is lets treat it

Dr. Rick :

Since I started using these anti-VEGF compounds in 2006 I have been able to save central vision in patients where, in the past, all I could offer was "less bad" legal blindness.

Dr. Rick :

Well, I wish he had spent more time talking with you and your husband but, when is all said and done, treating it right away is the correct thing to do. Delay only give photoreceptors more time to be damaged or destroyed.

Customer:

Thank you. I appreciate I will explain it a bit better to my husband.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope the injections work well for him. It sounds like you are in good hands with this retina specialist, even if he doesn't explain things very well :(

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer:

Thank you. Hope you have a great day.

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Customer:

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Have a good day.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest