Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My mother is now 92yrs old, she still very sharp in memories,

My mother is now 92yrs old, she still very sharp in memories, she can be seated in the wheeler and not bed ridden. But she always complaining that her eyesight is getting more blurred everyday. May I ask whether she could treated with Stem Cell Theraphy so she will improve her eyesight. We live in Quezon City, Philippines.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Has your mother been diagnosed with any eye diseases such as glaucoma or macular degeneration or cataracts? When was the last time she saw an ophthalmologist?
Customer: My mom have diagnostic examination by an opthalmologist about five years ago as macular degeneration at UST Eye Center.
Doctor DanB : So far, stem cell treatment is in its very first and experimental treatment phases for humans. Moorfields hospital on London and the Jules Stein Eye Institute in Los Angeles are the two eye centers where these trials are being done. So far, only a handful of people have received the therapy, and while initially promising, the results have only shown a very mild improvement in vision so far. If it has been five years since she's been seen by an ophthalmogist, though, inwould recommend that she see another one as soon as possible to see if she needs more immediate treatment. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns?  Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry!