Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have the text on my computer magnified to 200% and I can

I have the text on my computer magnified to 200% and I can just read it but it is still very blurry. Does this suggest that my vision is very bad? I am due for an eye test but just want to be prepared for what they might tell me. My current glasses (+1) which I have had for a couple of years do not help me much at all any more.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Yes, for a little while

Doctor DanB :

Well, this does suggest that your vision is at least somewhat impaired. It sounds like all you may need is a change in your glasses prescription. Do you have any eye redness, pain, light sensitivity, foreign-body sensation, discharge, tearing, itching or burning that has accompanied this change in your vision?

My eyes are a bit red and they get tired and sore, but this is maybe because I have to squint all the time to see the screen.

Doctor DanB :

It sounds as though your eyes are likely suffering from a dysfunctional tear film, more commonly called dry eye. This happens to many people who spend hours on the computer. A dysfunctional tear film can certainly be responsible for intermittent blurry vision, especially worse when staring at a computer screen. A dysfunctional tear film can be due to many different factors. Different medicines such as psychiatric medicines, antihistamines, cold medicines and others can contribute to a dysfunctional tear film. Allergies in the eyes can also contribute (and or make worse). Some people have an innate deficiency in making their own tears (these people may also have other dry mucus membranes, such as their mouth, nasal passages, or genitalia). Many people have an inflammation in the eyelids called blepharitis which causes the tear film that is supposed to coat the front of the eye to not function as well, and then the eyes dry out. People with blepharitis can have morning tearing, burning, and often eyelash mattering but they can also have these symptoms throughout the day to also include tearing, stinging, itching, burning, a gritty/foreign-body senstation or just intermittent vision fluctuations . Their symptoms get better as the day progresses, but then they get intermittent blurring when they use their eyes heavily in activities such as reading, watching TV, computer use or driving.

Because blepharitis is so common and the treatment for it is relatively benign, you might consider starting this treatment, while concurrently using artificial tears. In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.

It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so I would recommend using artificial tears 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them.

Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working.
Overall, though, if this isn't helping your vision, then it would be a good idea to get in for your exam to see if your prescription has changed. Does that make sense?

yes it does. I will certainly try it and hopefully it will help.

Doctor DanB : Okay. Good. Do you have any other questions?

Not at the moment. Thanks.