Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Found small white dot (cyst?) on my right eye...

I wear contacts and sometimes I wear them overnight. I was recently on a long flight and had my contacts in for the entire flight and now I have what feels like a small piece of sand in my right eye. I looked closer and found what appears to be a very small white dot (perhaps a cyst) on the cornea of my right eye. My eye is red, just around the area where the white dot is. My eyes are brown and the small white dot is located on the brown part of my eye. I've had this feeling before, but it usually goes away after I take out my contacts and my eyes have had a chance to breath. My contacts have been out for almost 24 hours now since my flight and I still have this feeling. Will the white dot (or cyst) go away on its own or does it need to be removed by a doctor? If it does need to be removed by a doctor, my concern is that I am in India for another 6 months and will not return to the States until December. Is it ok to wait until I return to the States? Will the cyst grow? Should I avoid wearing my contacts until I return? I'm just not sure how serious this is. Any help or advice would be really helpful!

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause for the white dot, pain and redness of your eye is a corneal ulcer.

Dr. Rick :

This is a bacterial infection of the actual "meat" of your eyeball (corneal stroma) and requires antibiotic eye drops. I suggest you find an ophthalmologist or, if one is not available in your area, an eye care person or even a regular MD so that you can be examined and started on the correct treatment. I would NOT delay getting this taken care of as, left untreated, it will only get worse.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

It was a pleasure to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. Have a great day.

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Allow me to repost my discussion here as we have been experiencing technical problem with the chat system lately and I want to make sure you could read my response:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick : The most likely cause for the white dot, pain and redness of your eye is a corneal ulcer.

Dr. Rick : This is a bacterial infection of the actual "meat" of your eyeball (corneal stroma) and requires antibiotic eye drops. I suggest you find an ophthalmologist or, if one is not available in your area, an eye care person or even a regular MD so that you can be examined and started on the correct treatment. I would NOT delay getting this taken care of as, left untreated, it will only get worse.

Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick : It was a pleasure to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick : We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

I'm still here if you have any further questions or comments. If not, please feel free to mash the smiley face :-)
Hi. I was just thinking about you and wondering how your eye was doing. Did you manage to see an eye doctor and was it a corneal ulcer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for checking in. I appreciate it. I ended up going to see an opthalmologist here the next day. Just so happens that my friend's dad is an opthalmologist, which I had forgotten. He said that it was not quite a corneal ulcer but that left untreated it could be one. It was some slight bacterial infection which he prescribed some antibiotic eye drops for Ofloacin (2 drops each time, 3 x per day) and Opticure (2 drops each time, 3 x per day, about an 1 hour after using the Oflacin). It's been about 5 days now since I've seen him and it feels and looks like my eye has cleared up a bit. He also noticed some small cysts I have on my lower eyelid. I've had these cysts on my lower eyelid for quite some time and they have not bothered me, but have not known how to get rid of them. He said the antibiotic treatment may help reduce them, otherwise they would have to be surgically removed (or "scraped" as he termed it). I was reading that a warm compress on the eye with the antibiotic treatment can help get rid of them, which I have not tried yet. So that's where I am :) All in all, there is still some slight irritation but it feels and looks better.
It is good to hear from you. I'm glad your eye is doing better. Ofloxacin is a great antibiotic....

Take care and let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future :-)