Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is there a clinical trial procedure that can be performed for someone that has optic nerve

Is there a clinical trial procedure that can be performed for someone that has optic nerve damage? This damage developed
from Traumatic Glaucoma after I was hit in the eye playing softball?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am sorry to say that once the optic nerve has been damaged nothing can be done to regain lost function. There are no clinical trials available.

Dr. Rick :

The only thing that can be done and, from what you have posted it seems that you are already doing it, is to treat any issues (such a glaucoma) so that no further damage occurs. Visual function that is lost due to optic nerve damage can never be regained.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What more specific info. do you need? I'm asking about clinical trials.
My original question has the details.

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 65

Already Tried:
I have had surgery, and currently taking Xalatan and Azopt. The Azopt I take twice per day and the Xalatan once per day, bth in the right eye.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
There is nothing that can be done to repair the damage to your optic nerve.

There are no clinical trials that can help you.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [great service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.