Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

RA - mk

Customer Question

i just woke up and my right eye looks like a blood vessel has burst, what should i do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. You have experienced a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
(Edited by Moderator)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
(Edited by Moderator)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the answers provided to my questions were worth paying for, I would gladly pay. Evidently you haven't read any of the answers. My specific question with my last issue was "what should I do?". The answer did not provide a solution or advice to that question, do you think I should pay for something I didn't get. Well I now believe this is the wrong format to use when I have problems so please run your con or guilt game elsewhere. I am not buying it. Thank you and good luck
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry that you feel this way.

As to your question of "what should I do?" I believe I answered you: Nothing. You do not need to do anything for your condition at all. It will resolve on it's own.