Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

There is mucous that forms in my eyes constantly. Sometimes

There is mucous that forms in my eyes constantly. Sometimes when I get it out it is a string that goes almost completely around my eye. What can be causing this? Also a lot of the time I have a hard time focusing with both eyes open but if I close one or the other I can focus in just fine. What can be the reason for that?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do your eyes itch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would say yes. I thought it might be from the constant mucous. ??

Well, that's possible. But usually, and I think in your case, it's the other way around. I think you have mucus because your eyes are itching. It sounds like you have allergic conjunctivitis. First of all, it is important to control the eye's response to allergens and this would include taking an antihistamine drop; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well. If this still isnt enough then you may be necessary to start an oral antihistamine such as Claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter if this isnt helping. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.

Your symptoms should start to respond to this quickly.

Does that make sense?