Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What is an MRI of the brain? Are there sedation drugs involved

What is an MRI of the brain? Are there sedation drugs involved or iv dyes used? I have inflammation behind both my eyes on the optic nerve and my vision in the left eye is getting worse. My eye surgeon is working quickly to find out what this is caused by. I have had a virus with severe headaches in recent weeks but headaches are almost gone but vision is getting worse.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

An MRI is a imaging study like an xray or cat scan but instead of using radiation to make the images is uses magnets and sound waves. It is not harmful in any way and gives the doctors a lot of information about your brain.

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes IV medicines are used to highlight structures (contrast). Usually sedation is not necessary but, if you are nervous, sedation can be given to you if you want.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a good article on this topic:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-does-an-mri-work.html

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cannot see welll so I can't find the answer. I need the answer to be shown to me again, please.

I'm sure it will be a satisfactory answer. bold print would help.

Thank you.
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : An MRI is a imaging study like an xray or cat scan but instead of using radiation to make the images is uses magnets and sound waves. It is not harmful in any way and gives the doctors a lot of information about your brain.
Dr. Rick : Sometimes IV medicines are used to highlight structures (contrast). Usually sedation is not necessary but, if you are nervous, sedation can be given to you if you want.
Dr. Rick : Here is a good article on this topic:
Dr. Rick : http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-does-an-mri-work.html
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick : I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

HERE IS MY REPLY POSTED AGAIN. MY SCREEN WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO CHANCE FONT SIZE OR TO MAKE IT BOLD. PERHAPS YOU COULD HAVE A FRIEND COPY TH ABOVE INTO A WORD PROGRAM ON YOUR COMPUTER AND THEN MAKE IT LARGER AND BOLD FOR YOU.

I'M SORRY THAT I AM UNABLE TO DO IT FROM MY SIDE. :(
I was just thinking about you and wondering what your MRI showed. Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had my brain MRI yesterday morning. I called my eye surgeon's office this morning but no call back so I called them later in the day and still no word from the surgeon. The receptionist reassured me that if anything was seriously wrong he would call me. I hope they contact me tomorrow. My vision in my left eye is almost completely distorted now. I certainly can't drive the car. Prayers are giving me strength. thank you for your enquiry.

It is good to hear from you and I'm glad the MRI was done without any difficulty.

If you have a chance let me know what the doc says.....take care and try not to worry :-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My brain MRI came back normal, no masses or tumors. However, my vision in my left eye is distorted. When I look at someone with only my left eye, all I can see is their head, not their body. I have an appointment with the eye surgeon next wed. at 8:30. Hopefuly he can tell me what his plan is. Thanks for asking.

I'm glad to hear that everything came back OK on your MRI.

A visit to an ophthalmologist is an excellent next step. Take care and let me know how things turn out.