Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

closed

Customer Question

my husband had an artificial cornea implant 2/2/2012. He had a general anesthetic, the operation lasted 6 hours. He never made it to recovery. The anesthetic caused him to be extremely agitated, he was restrained by the nurses, swearing at them and when we got back to our hotel, he couldn't relax and sleep at all. He kept saying he had to "pee" and he was dribbling all over the carpet. The operation was done at Kellogg Eye Center at the University of Michigan. The next morning we reported to his main doctor Doctor Mian. I explained about being up all night. He did not give me any help with my husband's problems and sent us home to return on Monday. He also place a lens over the cornea lens which fell out when we returned home on Sat. By Monday my husband
was so weak he could not go anywhere. Finally, by Friday of the second week Dr. Mian
placed another lens in his eye. By this time he had a Blood Clot in his R thigh (from the knee to the upper part of the thigh.) He was admitted to emergency and remained in the hospital for 6 more days. He has lost the lenses the operating has tried to put back.
In order to get it to stay, they had a plastics person stitch the outside of his L eye together and the R side of his eye together in order to hold the lens in place. The lens has tried to escape 3 times when I was putting the drops into it, however with Natural Tears I irrigated the spot that was lifting up and it went back into place. Finally, my husband sight only lasts for a sort while from the left eye. Could that be because the lens hasn't been cleaned like a regular contact lens and there is some kind of build up on it. Or is it possible the stitches have cut off some of his sight. The eye he had operated on was totally blind. He does pretty well on the eye testing in the clinic. Better each time. Important Information: When he was a toddler he had Stephens Johnson Syndrome. He was very sick. We think it was from the sulfur drug they gave him when he had a viral infection (possible measles) that led to SJS. He is now 76 years old, he was totally blind in his left eye and very little sight in his right eye. He didn't want to be
blind. Dr. Mian said he had been successful with SJS patients. My husband is extremely
frustrated. Not only with the trouble with the lenses, but now he has to wear a catheter
because the operation goofed up the walls of the bladder. He has a touch of Parkinson's
disease that the eye doctors were aware of before the operation and with that he has Orthscoptic Hypotensiion and gets dizzy from sitting to standing. He had this with the
Parkinson's Disease a little before the operation. Now it is more predominant. One thing
Dr. Alan Sugar said to Dr. Mian was to make sure he sees a plastics person to work on his left lid before you do the implant. We were all ready to have that done. However, on our last meeting, Dr. Mian looked at the eye and lid didn't think it needed the plastics repair first. This Friday 6.8.2012 we have an appointment with a psychiatrist because he is so very very depressed. If I should leave the house to go to the grocery store he screams until I return. Would it help to have someone at Johns Hopkins take a look at his eye or maybe even the right eye and tell us the truth. Would it be worth trying the
implant over again or in the other eye with less of an anesthetic"
Category: Eye
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

it sounds like your husband has been through quite a bit. Here are a few suggestions to look into with his doctors.

your husband could very well have a sulfer allergy or at least a severe sensitivity. there are many eye drops out there which often times will have a surfer component or a preservative which could be contributing to his reaction in his eys and causing the implants to be rejected. sometimes steroids and steroid eye drops can help decrease the body's autoimmune reaction to foreign materials, however, steroids can also decrease the body's healing process and can increase risks for infections.

his bladder issue and blood clots in his leg is most likely due to his age and body's systemic reaction to the anethesia from the surgery. general anesthesia is needed for his eye surgery and can not be done with just local anesthesia. some patients can get very aggitated from nacrotics given for pain during general anesthesia. most of the time, this gets better in a few days, sometimes it can take a few weeks to recover from this. sounds like he could have developed a neurogenic bladder from the anesthesia.
he should see a urologist regarding his bladder and see if bladder relaxing medications can help his bladder recover. the blood clot most likely was also a reaction to surgery and being in bed so long. this is much more common in older patients with multiple medical problems. he is most likely on blood thinners now and this can complicate future large surgeries, but should allow for small eye and eye lid surgery repairs.

you can also get a second opinion at John's Hopkins, but the Kellogg Eye Center at the University of Michigan is very reputable facility. Keep follow up with your doctor and hopefully, your husband will come of this whole period.