Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hello there, my daughter yesterday had a fever, sneezing, itchy

Hello there, my daughter yesterday had a fever, sneezing, itchy & watery eyes. So I gave her some childern Advil and soaked her feet in cold water to reduce her fever. She was okay for a while, however after sometime her left eye swelled up then I rubbed some of the Benadryl stick on the outside of her eye, the swelling didn't go down and then her left side lip swelled up too, and I can see the left side of her face swollen a bit, then I just gave her Benadryl syurp and went to bed, her fever went back up again in the middle of the night and I gave Advil again to help bring it down and that she can sleep. This morning she had a bit of swelling but not as much as yesterday. But what I noticed yesterdy white spot by her left eye and underneath her left side upper lip. Do I need to worry about the swelling or is this some type of allergic reaction to weather change? Please advice. Thank you!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

where is the white spot exactly in the left eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you noticed any associated redness or watering in the left eye?

Customer:

the white spot were on the left side of her face right by her eye

Customer:

no redness in the eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Were there multiple blisters?

Customer:

not sure what you mean by blisters!! they just spots like little pimpels

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. So there are multiple pimple like spots along the left side of her face including the lip and beside the eye, is that right?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One of the possiblities is that of herpes simplex infection .

Customer:

what is that?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Herpes simplex is a type of virus and it commonly causes such lesions on the skin.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though it is self limiting but the healing can be accelerated by using Acyclovir ointment to be applied 5 times a day.

Customer:

I know you said it's a virus, what causes this virus to appear? So it's not any type of allergic reaction to anything?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Looks like viral by the description given- fever+ blisters on the skin of the face. The virus is contracted usually by another person suffering from similar lesions ( cold sore on the lips, can spread while fondling the child or kissing on the cheek by the infected person).

Customer:

I see, thanks for your help!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are welcome.