Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I just became unemployed and have lost my insurance for my

I just became unemployed and have lost my insurance for my child. He went swimming and has been experiencing itchiness and irritation in one eye more than the other. It has been a week or more and it has not gotten much worse but is much the same. Both his eyes get pinkish and moistened when he shuts his eyes for more than 10-20 seconds. I am concerned but don't have the money yet to take him to see a specialist. I have a bottle of polymyxin-sulfate-trimethoprim I keep in the refrigerator. Should I try to treat him with this first and see if it begins to clear up>??? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB : If it hasn't changed much in a week and a half and itching is the most prominent symptom then I think this is an allergic conjunctivitis rather than an infectious conjunctivitis, especially if there is no significant colored discharge. First of all, it is important to control the eye's response to allergens and this would include taking an antihistamine drop; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well.  If this still isnt enough then you may be necessary to start an oral antihistamine such as Claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter if this isnt helping.     Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.Your symptoms should start to respond to this quickly.  Does that make sense?

Yes...thank you. That is helpful. The redness in one eye and sensitivity to light is increasing... is that also related symptom to the condition you mentioned?

Doctor DanB : Yes it definitely is. Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?     

Well, the Pataday prescription is probably out of the question at the moment. If the allergy drops do not help, could I try the polmyxin drops?

Doctor DanB : Yes, you could, but I would start with the Alaway or Zaditor and make sure to use the cool compresses and if it doesn't get better try the polymixin. If that's the case and it worsens even on that I would see your eye doctor.

Forgive my ignorance. I'm sure one has nothing to do with the other.

Doctor DanB : No worries, but yes allergies are not infectious and polymixin is an antibiotic which is intended to treat bacteria (a infectious agent).

Well, thank you very much... How many days should I wait to see if the treatment is effective enough or not?? And can he go swimming with this condition??\

Doctor DanB : Phelps can go swimming with the allergies. I would give it at least 4-5 days on the allergy treatment I described before switching.

Thank you much again... Should I let you know if you were right??

Doctor DanB : Id love to know how he's doing, though I really don't need to know if I'm right or not. I just want him to get better and enjoy his summer :)

Ditto. Good night.

Doctor DanB : Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at anytime you feel this process has been helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, if you see it.  This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  Thanks for your inquiry!  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Doctor DanB : Youre welcome. If at anytime you feel this process has been helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, if you see it.