Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I started out with a swollen painful lower eyelid two days

I started out with a swollen painful lower eyelid two days ago, and the swelling has now progressed in what looks almost like a pocket under the skin down to my cheek. The swelling seems to be causing my skin to bruise in the affected area. Is this something I could possibly treat at home - what could the causes be - and do I need to schedule an appointment with my ophthalmologist?

Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is the skin warm to the touch in the affected area? Is it kinda tight?

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes - available to talk. The area is warm to the touch.

Dr. Rick :

Is the skin tight?

Customer:

Yes it is.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I'm worried that you may have an infection of the skin and subQ tissues called facial cellulitis

Dr. Rick :

This is something that really should be looked at by a doctor.....the sooner the better.

Customer:

Thank you - I can most likely see my ophthalmologist tomorrow. In the meantime, is there anything I can do to relieve the pain/swelling?

Dr. Rick :

Since it is late there are really only two options: Go to the ER for an evaluation this evening (the safest choice) or, if you are comfortable with it, see a doctor (internal medicine will do fine) the very first thing in the morning.

Dr. Rick :

Ice packs and tylenol. But this type of infection, if that is what you have, can progress fairly rapidly and require IV antibiotics

Dr. Rick :

Since I can't see what it currently looks like you will have to decide if you want to go to the ER tonight or see an MD promptly in the morning.

Dr. Rick :

I would not delay by trying any home therapy at this time...

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Thank you - I will take your advice. I appreciate your help.

Customer:

It makes sense to me. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.