Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I started out with a swollen painful lower eyelid two days

I started out with a swollen painful lower eyelid two days ago, and the swelling has now progressed in what looks almost like a pocket under the skin down to my cheek. The swelling seems to be causing my skin to bruise in the affected area. Is this something I could possibly treat at home - what could the causes be - and do I need to schedule an appointment with my ophthalmologist?

Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is the skin warm to the touch in the affected area? Is it kinda tight?

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes - available to talk. The area is warm to the touch.

Dr. Rick :

Is the skin tight?

Customer:

Yes it is.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I'm worried that you may have an infection of the skin and subQ tissues called facial cellulitis

Dr. Rick :

This is something that really should be looked at by a doctor.....the sooner the better.

Customer:

Thank you - I can most likely see my ophthalmologist tomorrow. In the meantime, is there anything I can do to relieve the pain/swelling?

Dr. Rick :

Since it is late there are really only two options: Go to the ER for an evaluation this evening (the safest choice) or, if you are comfortable with it, see a doctor (internal medicine will do fine) the very first thing in the morning.

Dr. Rick :

Ice packs and tylenol. But this type of infection, if that is what you have, can progress fairly rapidly and require IV antibiotics

Dr. Rick :

Since I can't see what it currently looks like you will have to decide if you want to go to the ER tonight or see an MD promptly in the morning.

Dr. Rick :

I would not delay by trying any home therapy at this time...

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Thank you - I will take your advice. I appreciate your help.

Customer:

It makes sense to me. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.