Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a single eyelid swelling with no signs of infection,

I have a single eyelid swelling with no signs of infection, it doesn't itchy or hurt either. It has been happening for 8 days. Both my blood test and urine test are normal. I've been taking Loratadine, Cetirizine, Polymyxin B Sulate and Trimethoprim Ophthalmic Solution, but none of it works...
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How big is the swelling? Is it on the upper or the lower eyelid?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Full Size Image
Does it look similar?

Customer:

Hi Dr. A.S.Desai, thank you for taking my question.

Customer:

It is on the upper eyelid.

Customer:

It doesn't seem similar, because there is no redness on my eyelid. I've taken a photo of my eyelid, how can I upload?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, please do so.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Unable to open the image

Customer:

I'll try to upload it again..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Can you see a paperclip logo on this box where you are typing your responses?

Customer:

Normally, I have single eyelid, but the swelling causes my eyelid become double..

Customer:

Yes, I used the clip to upload

Dr. A.S. Desai :

but unfortunately the only thing which is displayed is -" full size image" but nothing opens on clicking it.

Customer:

this is the link that I clicked on the "full size image"

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No even that is not working. Nevermind I guess we will have to do without the picture for now.

Customer:

there is not any signs of infection, just pure swelling

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One of the possibilities for such a painless swelling on the upperlid is a chalazion.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A chalazion is a painless inflammation of the meibomian gland( modified sebaceous gland) present in the lids.

Customer:

but there is no signs of chalazion on my eyelid, like if I close my eyes, you won't see anything on the eyelid

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It can occur at any age group for no specific reason but is more often seen in those with refractive errors( short sighted or far sighted) as they tend to rub their eyes more than others.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

When you close your eye , you mean the swelling disappears?

Customer:

I have seen 3 doctors, they flip my eyelid, and it is normal

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer:

no, the swelling is there, but it doesn't show, it shows when I open my eyes because I have single eyelid, so it becomes double

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the swelling diffuse all along the eyelid or is it localised ?

Customer:

more localised, it only appears at the very edge near my eyelashes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is it only in one eye or both eyes?

Customer:

only one eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Were all the 3 doctors you approached ophthalmologists?

Customer:

no, they are general doctors

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well In that case it would be better to get the eye examined in detail by an ophthalmologist as a closer first hand look could help. If a chalazion is not a possibility then we have to rule out if there is any cystic swelling there ( as it disappaers on closing the eye).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dermatochalasis is what doubling of the lid means but is usually bilateral and is seen in older age group.

Customer:

the swelling is more like a line than round shape though

Customer:

no, I'm not having dermatochalasis.. I think it is better if I show you the picture

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Looks like the skin is folded over and is giving the appearance of a double lid when the eye is open but disappears when closed.

Customer:

yea..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok I'll wait

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

can you try to click on the "full size image"?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Click on the paperclip, then on the logo along image URL box, then click on browse in image upload box, then just press insert at each box. I think something is missing as we are unable to see the picture you are trying to send inspite of attempting.

Customer:

that's what I did...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes i can finally see the image now

Customer:

great :)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can see a lid crease on the right side but not on the left side.

Customer:

that's right

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is it the right eye crease you are mentioning bout as the linear swelling?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

about

Customer:

yes, that is the right eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It looks more like blepharitis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Inflammation fo the lid.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

of

Customer:

one of the doc give me polymyxin B eyedrop for that, b/c she couldn't think of a reason, so she cures my eyelid according to blepharitis, but the drop doesn't work..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, eyedrops would have no effect here. Initially you can try giving war compresses twice a day( 10 mins each).

Customer:

during the first 3-4 days, the swelling was on and off during the day, not always stayed like that until last friday

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Excuse my spelling error- typing mistake- it is warm compresses.

Customer:

I tried warm and cool compresses, but it doesn't work at all..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you tried oral anti-inflammatory medicines so far?

Customer:

No. I only tried Loratadine, Cetirizine and the eye drop

Customer:

are anti-inflammatory medicines OTC?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If none of these measure help then symptomatic treatment in the form of anti-inflammatory medicines can be tried. Such as Tab. Acetaminophen 500 mg + Tab.Diclofenac 50 mg, 1 tablet twice a day for 3-4 days. This is purely for the swelling ( even in the absence of pain or fever this can be taken).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If not the combination , then plain acetaminophen can also be taken.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

they are available over the counter.

Customer:

I tried asprin though..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the swelling subsides then you can stop the medicines. If it persists then it is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist.

Customer:

Do you think Aspirin would help just as Acetaminophen?

Customer:

My concern is that I might never find the cause and the swelling would keep on forever..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well then it is time for a closer look by an opthalmologist. May have to look for causes deeper than just the lid.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, surely the cause can be determined.

Customer:

But so far none of the doctors know why...

Customer:

and it has never happened to me

Customer:

usually I get swollen eyes in the morning, but they disappear within 1 hr at most..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

That is quite typical of blepharitis or meibomitis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Meibomitis occurs due to inflammation of the meibomian glands.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Warm compresses and lid scrub with 50:50 diluted baby shampoo is very effective as it helps to drain the pent secretions of these glands.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

After a closer look the ophthalmologist may want to start a steroid eye ointment to bring the swelling down.

Customer:

I tried warm compress, nothing changed...

Customer:

One doctor told me there is no drug that can reduce the swelling...

Customer:

because I was asking for medicine to reduce it

Customer:

if this continue to last for a month, do u think it could be something more unusual and serious?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it certainly is not something serious.

Customer:

But I'm afraid that it is not going away

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Try the lid scrub and analgesic for another few days and consult an ophthalmologist in the meanwhile. I am sure it will subside with symptomatic treatment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You need prescription for steroid eye ointment, so I guess going to an ophthalmologist makes sense.

Customer:

Ok, I'll do that. Do you think I should see a skin doctor too?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The skin appears to be normal in appearance.But a dermatologist can be approached if the ophthalmologist thinks so.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please let me know if I can answer anything else in this regard.

Customer:

Do you think it is some kind of allergy?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since anti-allergy medicines have shown no effect, it could be non-allergy cause.

Customer:

I see. Thank you for your time, I'll do what you advised. :)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are msot welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

most

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince