Doctor Natasha
Doctor Natasha, Emergency Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine- can answer eye emergencies

What is the matter when my eyelashes keep falling out? I dont

Customer Question

What is the matter when my eyelashes keep falling out? I don't mean 1 or 2, I mean lots! About 30 years ago I lost about 10% of my hair but thankfully it grew in but white. About 9 years ago all of my eyebrows fell out and they didn't come back so I had them tatooed on, vanity is terrible. About 2 years ago my top eyelashes started to go until I had a bald spot nearly 1/2 in long. I saw a dermatologist who said it is alopecia (the same thing I had with the head hair) and they will grow back when they want to. Now, lucky me, the same thing is happening to the other eye and the space on the first one is getting bigger. HELP!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Doctor Natasha replied 4 years ago.
have you had any labs done? thyroid? vitamin deficiency?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for responding to my question. I'm not sure if my doctor did those tests before he sent me to the dermatologist a few years ago, I will try to find out. Do you think that vitamin deficiency or thyroid problems could be the root of the problem?
Well, frequently generalised hair loss can be attributed to low thyroid or vitamin deficiency. Other factors include anemia, liver disease, kidney disease. These can be tested by labs for confirmation- and in some cases they can be corrected. Other causes include stress, family history.
You can also take latisse to help grow your lashes- you need a presciption for this.

hang in there...

Warm regards.

Please remember to complete the answer process so I am credited for my work and expertise. If you have any follow up questions, reply here.

Thanks for using Just Answer!