Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am having eye surgery stribmus surgery next month and they

I am having eye surgery stribmus surgery next month and they are using adjustable sutures. And scared to death because people are telling me that they remove your eyeball well you are sleeping is this true? I am also freaked out because I will be awake for the adjustable suture and i want to know if they will hurt? an how long does it take? and any other information you can tell me will be appreciated
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

No. Your eyeball is left just where it is......the muscle is just gently removed and then reattached to your eyeball. There is nothing to worry about.....you will be fine :)

Dr. Rick :

The adjustable suture does not hurt at all....even small children feel no pain when it is adjusted.

Dr. Rick :

When is your surgery?

Customer:

25th of july

Dr. Rick :

Ok....not too much longer to be freaked out about this....and lots of time to look forward to having your eyes be straight :-)

Customer:

yeah i know

Dr. Rick :

Do you want to watch a video of an example of strabismus surgery actually being done?

Customer:

sure

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Here it is....not very scary once you actually see it being done. Let me know if you have any questions after watching it.

Dr. Rick :

http://www.abcd-vision.org/kid-eye-disorders/MR%20Recess.html

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

the child is under general anesthesia. You can hear his heart beating on the monitor.

Customer:

yeah. i never realized you looked like you are died

Dr. Rick :

As you can see the stitch is so small that you can barely see it. The adjustable suture is the same size and type of material just tied with a bow tie instead of a square knot like in the movie. This allows it to be adjusted the next day.

Dr. Rick :

Dead people look different.....

Dr. Rick :

Not so scary, huh?

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Customer:

no not scary

Dr. Rick :

We should have thought about watching a video sooner......

Customer:

yeah. you knew it was me

Dr. Rick :

Yup. How could I forget you?

Customer:

i dont know. i know i am a baby about this stuff

Dr. Rick :

I don't blame you at all....

Customer:

i have had it before but i was 8 so i really didnt care. thanks for your help again

Customer:
Dr. Rick :

Let me know how things go after your surgery....and until then, do your best to relax. If you have any other concerns I'm here and happy to help ;)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok you got to addmite this is the longest you went withiut hearing from me. But the pre-admission nurse called today and asked if I ever did recreational drugs. I said not for a few years. She said that it could still affect the anesthia. Then i said even if i only did it a couple times that long ago. She said she is pretty sure it could is this true? I know there is effects in my body but i didn't know that they could interferee with anesthia
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I do not agree with the anesthesia nurse......you should be OK if it has been a few years since you last used.

Of course, if you were a heavy narcotic (every day or more) or heroin addict for decades that may make your body quicker to metabolize the drugs used to keep you asleep....but even if this were the case, the doc would just use more medicine.

I'd not worry about it at all.

Good luck on your surgery :) I look forward to hearing all about it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
alright thank you
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
:-)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry didnt mean to give you a dislike
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
The dislike didn't show up on my screen......but I'll check with the powers that be and see what happened.

Good luck on your surgery :)