Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I am having a muscle (thin and half moom shaped so I dont know if is a muscle or something

I am having a muscle (thin and half moom shaped so I dont know if is a muscle or something else) spasm below my right eye above my orbital bone. It has lasted 2 days now and I wonder what it is from or if I should be concerned.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : What you are experiencing sounds like what is called myokymia.  This is usually associated, at its onset, as an increased rate of blinking.  Many different things can cause this blinking such as irritations to the eye such as wind, smog, dust, and sunlight, but even some noises and moving the eyes and/or head can bring it on.  They tend to turn into more of a spasm over time that the person usually doesn’t have much control over. It can commonly be associated with eye problems including eye pain, tearing, irritation and sensitivity to light.  Many people find sleep relieves their spasming to some extent, but also using artificial tears can help sometimes as well as pulling on the eyelids. A specific cause for myokymia has not been demonstrated for every case; it is thought to be a neurologic disorder that has a multifactorial etiology.  For most people, this resolves spontaneously in several days, but  it's not unheard of for some cases to last 4-6 weeks. If it persists longer than 4 weeks, I would recommend seeing your eye doctor for this. 
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns?  Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?     It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at anytime you feel this process has been helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, if you see it.  This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  Thanks for your inquiry!  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer:

I dont think it is myokymia as it is not the eyelid. It is under the eye. amuscle under the skin below the eye.

Customer:

I have to return to work and so may not be able to respond to anything you say until 2:15

Doctor DanB : Actually your orbicularis oculi muscle surrounds the entire eye and extends down to the orbital bone so I do suspect this is myokymia of that muscle. Now of course I can't be sure because I can't examine you, but I suspect this is what's happening.
Customer:

It is probably that then. I will see my doctor if it persists. I was just hoping I could do something about it as I have a big presentation to do this weekend and dont want to be self conscious. (several of my patients yesterday pointed it out so I know it is noticable). Thanks for your help. I will accept.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology